1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House "Gut Check" - 4/10/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Let's start the "how long into the episode did you get before you knew that House was pulling a fast one on Wilson with the kid?" thread.

I had a suspicion the minute the kid appeared in the diner, but I was convinced when he asked for prosciutto and goat cheese on his pizza. (I'm also glad they remembered to explain away the phone call to "the mother.")

"Co-starring Saachiko as Popo"

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It took you THAT long??????? Were you sleeping before that?

3. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I didn't think it was a setup until the kid showed up at the diner. The ex-girlfriend who House found on Facebook that was still mad enough to go along with messing with Wilson got past me. As we never saw the mom I was only getting more suspicious.

I'm surprised Wilson didn't have a clue. Once the kid showed up it all should have smelled like a setup.

4. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    At first, I thought Wilson had really called (who he thought was) the boy's mother (as opposed to, say, House giving her another woman's phone number), so I assumed that he really did have a son (just not necessarily that boy); also, didn't Wilson say something like, "If he's not my son, then he's my father's son"?

5. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Wilson really did call the woman he thought he did (his ex), but House had already called her and persuaded her to play along.

The boy was a child actor who House obviously picked from a bunch of headshots because he looked like Wilson.

I knew it was House playing games as soon as Wilson told House that he really did have an 11 year old son.

6. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    As usual, no one cares about the medical case, just about the soap-opera interaction. So why did Chase offer to let Park move in with him? Just so he could spend time with her grand ma? Why does everyone care so much about the motivation BEHIND the motivation, layers upon layers? I'm really glad that it's ending. I probably would not watch it next year if it had been renewed.

7. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The medical case has never been the primary focus of House - it just provides a framework to anchor the drama that is going on. Nothing more.

After all, you can't have a drama between doctors who never do any medicine, so that's what the case provides. It's why the format for the cases haven't changed much since the beginning. Other than that, it's a typical human interaction show.

Heck, most other dramatic reality shows do this after the first season or so - Pawn Stars (it's not about the pawn shop), Deadliest Catch (it's not about the crab), etc. After all, how interesting can people doing deals or catching crab be after you seen it once?

8. johnspalm

johnspalm New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    It was in the earlier seasons.

The show morphed from being a medical case with a little drama mixed in to a drama with a little medical case mixed in. And, unfortunately, it got to the point where the drama was just plain silly and over the top. Hence, the demise of the show.

9. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    The case was always incidental to the drama, a vehicle for the plot.

I really enjoyed the ending.

10. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    The other thing that wears after a while is there is no evolution to the characters. After all these stories they are all basically the same people from the beginning. When it leaves the patients and becomes a character drama and the characters don't change you can only go so far.

When they did change it up people complained and said they want the old house back.
    We really have little insight into House. Three stories probably gave us the most insight but they have backed far away from that. Is he a nice guy that cares but fights to show it? Is he a psychopathic prankster? I think all of that eventually wears out if you don't evolve.

11. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    That's probably because just about every medical case on House is the same; someone (usually teased as someone else in the opening) has something nobody can diagnose; they think it's something, but then, "No, it's not that"; they decide on something that requires a life-changing procedure (e.g. radiation to remove the patient's immune system; cut off a patient's arms when they think it's flesh-eating bacteria); some random event causes the light bulb moment (Taub even used the term "light bulb" in this episode), and House makes the save just as they're about to start the procedure.

Just about the only thing to look for is to see if the "patient of the week" has been on TV before (Allison Smith (Jenny on Kate & Allie; she was also Annie at one point in its original Broadway run) was a patient once).

The "soap opera interaction" seems to be the only thing that makes the show different from one week to the next. They've even tried various pairings ("Chameron", then "Foreteen", then "Huddy, MDs") to see if they would stick, but if anything, the end of the 2009-10 season when House and Cuddy finally got together was when the show jumped the shark.

12. johnspalm

johnspalm New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    +1

13. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You know on Roseanne the last season was effectively made up and explained.
    And as mentioned Saint Elsewhere and others did different variations.

I am wondering if the finale goes somewhere like this. House could still be in Jail or perhaps he is autistic, or the whole thing is a drug induced hallucination. There is something about the whole series that does not sit right in the more realistic world but might in a fairy tale world.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Unlikely. They already did the whole "this all is a Vicodin-triggered hallucination." If they were to pull a "dream within a dream" that would be really, really incredibly lame.

15. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I enjoy that. I'd be disappointed if House married Cuddy, had a child, stopped being a prick, and became Ward Cleaver.

People seldom change, and I'm glad there's a show where they depict human beings stuck in their destructive patterns.

I do think we ought to know about his true motivations to retain viewer interest.

16. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Active Member

Oct 29, 2004
    How about he falls in love with a patient... and that, kids, is how he met your mother...

17. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    :up:

18. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    The medical mystery has always been secondary to the character interaction. Although it was nice this week that it was Taub and hot House that had the light bulb moment.

19. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Anything other than "this is reality" has been done to death. In addition to Roseanne and St. Elsewhere, there's Newhart, Life on Mars, and Lost.

They "should" have House die in the finale (it also gives them an excuse to bring back Amber and Kumar Kutner); the main reason I don't think they would do that is, they want to keep a door open just in case they change their mind and decide that one more season (especially a short one where they throw lots of money at Hugh Laurie to come back) wouldn't be so bad after all.

20. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    That possibility sort of faded away when he drove thru her living room wall. :p

Lost ended with the mainstream story being shown legit.

I've got to ask a question here, tho'-

I never saw the final season of Roseanne. Can someone tell me what they did that put it into the same catagory as St. Elsewhere?