1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot in Cleveland

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by flikhem, Jun 17, 2010.

1. flikhem

flikhem Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll give it one more episode before I delete the season pass.

2. SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    I thought it was hysterically funny. Even though it was full of cliches and stereotypes, I was still smiling throughout the whole ep.

Hopefully Betty White gets more screen time; her character plays well off those other three ditzy women.

3. SLJackson

SLJackson New Member

May 17, 2010
    I really enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty funny.

4. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo New Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I would just watch with the sound off to watch the ladies. All three leads are on my top list (yes, I am an old fart).

If I turn the sound on I'm sure Betty White is hilarious.

Actually missed the pilot but I logged in a set an SP to catch it.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I just watched a bit this morning and it is very funny. I thought it would be irritating but I loved the ladies all reacting to the nicer midwestern men.

6. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I'm about 5 minutes in, they're trying REAL hard for the classic sitcom vibe:

- "Hot in Cleveland is filmed before a live studio audience."
    - Laugh track every two seconds. Has it been that long since I watched a sitcom with one?
    - Directed by Michael Lembeck. Yes he's been directing shows for years, but it can't be a coincidence with a show starring Valerie Bertinelli.

I'll have to give it more than 5 minutes though. ;)

Greg

7. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    My wife and I liked it too.

8. crowtoo

crowtoo Member

Dec 7, 2005
    My wife and I really enjoyed it as well. The beginning was a little shaky but once they got to Cleveland it was pretty funny. I thought that Valerie Bertinelli looked better than she has in a long time and it appears as if she was having a great time. I got the impression she was genuinely laughing at the jokes and not acting. And of course Betty White is always hilarious.

Apparently lots of people watched and hopefully enjoyed the show too:

P.S. - TV Land on my cable system isn't in HD, but the show is also airing on CMT-HD.

Chris
    crowtoo@earthlink.net

9. firerose818

firerose818 Now 55 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    And we're picking up a showing on a Nickelodeon station, of all things. (Since we missed the premiere on TV Land)

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo New Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    That's what I used since I get nick in HD.

11. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Laugh track was ridiculous, but I did enjoy Better White as usual.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I got around to finishing off the first episode. You are all familiar with comfort food. Usually this is food you had as a child that you still like and gives you comfort. Usually it is high carb and high fat. Macaroni and Cheese comes to mind.

This is comfort TV which is what TVLand speciallizes in. I found it funny, non-irritating. All four of the characters were likable. When Betty White first came on, I wondered but then I remembered. This is Betty White!!! I love her. It doesn't matter what she is doing. She could be playing a serial killer and I would love her.

Simple plot, easy resolution, funny lines, pleasant and funny characters including the minor characters. I liked the fact that they are not putting the midwest down.

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    They were complimentary about Midwestern men, but they were brutal about L.A. men. I wonder who buys programming for TV Land? Probably not the typical male TV programmer based in L.A. Otherwise, it never would've gotten on the air. :D

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    +1 ! The laugh track was jarring-but the show was cute. I'll watch it! :p

15. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1

Yeah, they might be trying hard for an old sitcom feel, but I think they actually did a pretty good job in achieving it. And all 4 ladies are great. I enjoyed.

16. d-dub

d-dub Jami's Gameboy

Mar 8, 2005
    Montgomery, IL
    I guess my annoying noise filter has been honed from raising 4 boys... I didn't even notice the laugh track :eek:

17. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    If you want more training on tuning noise out, I recommend the World Cup Soccer games. The death penalty should come into play for anyone introducing vuvuzulas to North America.

18. MLR930

MLR930 Gamer Goddess

Dec 26, 2002
    Cranston, RI
    I loved it, barely noticed the laugh track I've been watching sitcoms for so long that I got used to them.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Wow, it must be the ringing in my ears but I didn't even notice the laugh track. What's even worse is that I read this thread before I watched the episode and STILL didn't notice it. d'oh!

Anyway, I liked it even though it was totally predictable and hokey. I think that is because I really like all 4 actors. I'll keep watching.

Jane Leeves looks so amazing. Wendy - love her wit but would like to see a style change, including her hair. Valerie is such a doll. Was it my TV, or did she look kind of, um, thick?

20. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought the same thing especially given her Jenny Craig commercials, but maybe it was filmed a few months ago?
    She didn't look thick on The Today Show the other day...