1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostage - S1 E1 - Pilot - 9/23/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was surprised two days later, no thread.

I watched this last night I have to say, I enjoyed it. There was plenty of suspense and not much info given for the reasons, other than one of the President's cabinet members appears to be behind it. A lot more to find out.

The only thing I didn't like all that much was how they portrayed the hubby and the two kids. Too predictable that they were all going to be troubled.

The hubby....as soon as he said he had to go coach Lacrosse, I said, he's having an affair (of course he goes and DOES coach lacrosse, but I was right anyway!!)

The son...seriously, a drug dealer? He couldn't be a normal kid? I know this is probably a setup for the drug supplier he owes money to to show up at the door.

The daughter..It's become so cliche these days that EVERY teenage girl has to get pregnant. Oh well. We'll see if they hold the hostages long enough that the baby comes into play.

Hopefully this doesn't go completely off the rails like most of these series do.

2. Carlucci

Carlucci Hiding The Decline

Jan 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Prison Break was great TV until they had to come up with ways to sustain it as an ongoing series. The same can be said for so many other shows too.

Hostages is billing itself as a mini-series, so here's hoping they can overcome the temptation to "renew" it, and truly wrap it up in only one season. I'm watching to reward this new thinking in creating TV shows 1 season-long serials.

That pickup truck dude looks like he's freaking 30, and the daughter is only 15. I was rooting for #4 to waste him.

3. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    I liked this too, and I'm usually pretty slow to get interested in a new series. Pretty good cast, the issues the family members are all having do seem a bit contrived, and that staredown into the camera at the end got a big eyeroll from me, but I'll keep watching this.

4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ratings look bad. Another show I'll probably get annoyed with when it's cancelled.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I thought it was ok. But don't know how they can keep this going for 22 episodes?
    Or longer if it stays around.

6. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I thinks it's only 15 episodes.

If renewed I would imagine it would be something like American Horror Story with a new cast and story.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was wondering right up to the last minute how on Earth they were going to get 15 hours out of this. Clever doc. I can't wait to see the look on her face when Bobby Donnell shows up for work.

So I guess they're going to go one day per episode?
    Or maybe the same cast?

The plot is foiled. But whoever is forcing Bobby Donnell gives him one more chance. Suddenly, the Pope is rushed to the hospital... :D

8. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I must have missed something--I thought the Dr. was going to injure her hand with the scissors so she couldn't operate, but then they never showed it again. :confused:

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What else was there to show? She held the scissors against her finger like she was going to cut the tip off, couldn't go through with it, went on to Plan B.

10. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    15 or 22 is a long time to stretch this out.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, she did cut herself a bit, to bleed, but yeah, didn't injure herself as much as she seemed to intend to.

12. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Ok, I saw the bleeding and figured it wouldn't take too much to stop you from doing delicate work like surgery on the President. Seems better than plan B. Of course maybe you could never operate again, and they might kill your family anyway.

With plan B, if they were really cold-hearted terrorist types they would probably kill one kid and then send her back out there. They don't seem quite that cold-hearted, though. Are they all FBI agents, or just the main guy?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think she probably did the right thing all around. Take herself out of the operation (by cutting off her finger), and the terrorists would really have no choice but to kill them all (since they'd seen their faces) and try something else, or give up. Go through with the operation, and you'd run the risk that they'd kill them all anyway (a tragic accident, so as not to throw suspicion on the "failed" surgery).

This way, she's bought some time. Certainly works for story logic, and probably even in the real world.

14. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    My problem too. I will stick with it though, for now.

15. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I hate the characters in this show so much that I'd like to take them out myself. I could've started a S01E02 thread but I didn't want to start a thread just to crap on a show others enjoy.

16. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    ^^^this^^^

The doctor is a terrible actress in this role and not even fun to look at, not to mention the writing and premise. Sucks for them that they're up against Spader.

17. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I actually love the premise. The execution has been horrible. Yet I watch and will continue to watch.

I love the premise. Something good has to happen, right?

I guess if it gets any worse, I'm out. But I'll give it at least one more episode.

18. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This was a big sack of MEH for me. I couldn't care one bit about the characters, I was confused as to why the hostage negotiator was the one taking the family hostage, and I don't see how it can sustain more than one season.

I'll give it two more episodes before I kill the SP.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought this was a 15 episode mini-series? (Well so was Under the Dome, but they gave THAT another season, so who knows). I liked the first episode a lot better. We are now getting into convoluted plot points. I'm sorry, but I think if I'm the doctor, I find a way to get the word out. Even if it's sending some sort of cryptic message to the friend, something like that. I will also give it an episode or two more, then I'm out.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Under the Dome was never a mini-series. It was always the first season of an ongoing series (although they didn't know until later that they'd be picked up for a second).

By the way, this is the Episode 1 thread...I notice some of you are starting to talk about Episode 2, which could have dire consequences if the Spoiler Police find out.