1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Hoping To Improve Search Text Entry

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by grpaine5520, Aug 8, 2014.

1. grpaine5520

grpaine5520 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    I just bought a Roamio (4 tuner) and plan on cutting my DirecTV cord later today. Everything seems to be working fine including using my Harmony 1 remote in place of the TiVo remote. One item I’d like to improve is entering text in the search field. It is a pain moving around to each character, one at a time.

Does anyone know if there is a way to program the Harmony 1 remote to cycle thru the alpha characters assigned to each number? i.e. pressing 2 once sends an A, twice a B, 3 times a C and the fourth time the 2? Like typing a text message on a cell phone.

I assume the TiVo Slide Pro remote can send alpha characters to the search field using the QWERTY keyboard but I do not want to invest $50 in another remote.

2. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Use a Apple or Android device with the TiVo app? That will give you the easier method to enter text, I don't believe there is a way to remap the standard remote numeric keypad.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can always plug in a USB keyboard. Or, download a program called KMTTG to the computer, which has a remote function, as well as ability to download shows.