1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up Stream without hardwired TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by ort, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1 of 58
    ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-stream/?WT.z_links=stream_vanity#networking

The instructions clearly state that you must have a real ethernet connection to both your TiVo Premiere and your TiVo Stream. That they both have to be hardwired into your router to work...

BUT...

I have been told that this isn't actually the case.

I'm specifically interested in wiring the Stream up to my router, but having a TiVo Premiere in another room stream shows.

Has anyone in the real world actually tried this? How was your experience?

2. Sep 6, 2012 #2 of 58
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've done this with a HomePlug network and it works OK for streaming but side loading is really slow. I tried transferring a 1 hour HD program this morning and after 30 minutes it was only about 40% done and said it still had 22 minutes to go. Now this is with the stream connected directly to the wireless router, but the TiVo connected via 200mbs HomePlug. Also the wifi is only g so that might have slowed it down as well.

I think I'm going to look at converting the HomePlug leg to MOCA and the wifi to n and see if that improves things at all.

Dan

3. Sep 6, 2012 #3 of 58
    ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Mine is hooked up via the standard TiVo N adaptor. Hopefully that's what it is. My premiere transfers HD shows from my other TiVo in almost real time. I'd say a 1 hour show takes about 45 minutes or so.

Honestly, it's the streaming I really want. The copying of shows is more like a bonus. I don't plan on using it much.

My other option would be to put another router (an extender) behind my upstairs TV and hook both my premiere and the stream into it.

But that would also require me to put enough space back there for a router, a stream and a Ethernet hub. It starts to get silly after a while.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #4 of 58
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I'm in a mode where I really want to simplify my setup. I have this elaborate multi-room setup with matrix switches and wireless HDMI transmitters. But I only ever use them for TiVos anyway and with all these new streaming capabilities and devices I think I might be able to pare it down to my Premiere, my Elite and one of those Mini things when it's released. Should help with the massive rats nest of cables I have behind my TV right now.

Dan

5. Sep 7, 2012 #5 of 58
    pcbrew

pcbrew New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    DFW
    Dan,

Is your HomePlug network the standard or "AV" (200 Mbps) flavor?

In my current setup, I have a Premier and (other things) connected to a gigiabit switch and from there to a HomePlug AV adapter thru powerline to my Gigabit Wireless N router.

Will the heavy HD stream from the Premiere to the Stream go all hardwaired just thru the switch and only the transcoded stream will go over powerline to the WiFi router?

6. Sep 7, 2012 #6 of 58
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes mine is the older 200Mbps one. Do to the way I have my network setup I had to do it opposite from you. I connected the Stream directly to the router. So for me the bigger MPEG-2 stream is coming across the powerline network and then being recoded and set directly to the wifi router. You setup should work a little better since the bigger MPEG-2 stream will be going over Ethernet and only the smaller recoded stream will be going across the powerline network.

Dan

7. Sep 9, 2012 #7 of 58
    pcbrew

pcbrew New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    DFW
    I guess my powerline network speed is pretty crappy.
    My streams constantly pause & buffer. The best I can get is ~10s of play, followed by 3-5 sec pauses.

I just ordered the Actiontec Moca kit from Amazon.....

8. Sep 9, 2012 #8 of 58
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I ended up ordering one of those too. My powerline was working OK, but I was seeing an occasional pause too. Plus the side loading was really slow.

Dan

9. Sep 9, 2012 #9 of 58
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    One of my Premieres is connected to my network via a TiVo wireless G adapter. Doesn't set any speed records downloading, but it works. However, I did not set up the Stream with only that Premiere on the network.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Basically if your network has enough bandwidth it'll work regardless of the protocol. TiVo is limiting support to Ethernet and MOCA because both of those are guaranteed to have enough bandwidth for it to work. Wifi has so many different flavors and other limitations that it would be a nightmare to support. But if you have a really good wifi connection it should work fine.

Dan

11. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I forgot to mention that I have a really good wireless N network that the iPad uses. Even with that, I wouldn't be happy with a wireless TiVo unless it was using a wireless N adapter or on a wireless N bridge.

12. pcbrew

pcbrew New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    DFW
    Well, I got my MoCa kit today and decided to do some benchmarking before/after install so I would know quantitatively what kind of speed improvements I would see.

First, let me explain that I have a lot of wired equipment in the office so I have a 4-port gigiabit switch (D-Link DGS-2205) hanging off my Wireless-N gigabit router (WRT320N).

The first thing I did was run internet speedtest
    - Wired desktop (router): 10 Mbps/ 0.9 Mbps Down/Up (Time Waner Cable)
    - Wireless N laptop: 10 Mbps/ 0.9 Mbps Down/Up
    - Wired laptop to switch: 2 Mbps 0.2 Mbps Down/Up <-- what's going on here
    - Wired laptop to router: 10 Mbps/ 0.9 Mbps Down/Up <-- Interesting

Transfer a ~150MB video file from Home server
    - Wired desktop: ~300 Mbps
    - Wireless N laptptop: 21 Mbps
    - Wired laptop to switch: glacial - initial estimate was < 0.5 Mbps
    - Wired laptop to router: ~300 Mbps

Obviously something was wrong and after power-cycling the switch, the performance matched the direct router connection.
    Since my powerline adapter was fed from the switch so I thought this could have been why my streams were always crappy and unusable and, sure enough, with the switch operating as expected, my streams played without any issues! Great, but ticks me off I bought the MoCa kit for a non-issue.

Since I have it, I will install the MoCa adapter tomorrow and see what kind of performance I get. I will probably leave the powerline setup installed and just move the adapter up to the small media room I have and replace the Wireless-N access point/bridge that's in there as it's a little challenged due t the long distances and number of walls between it and the access point.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I ran tests on my network before, using 200 AV powerline, and after using MOCA and the difference was substantial. Transferring via TTG from Elite on one end to PC on the other I went from 2.6MBs to 5.8MBs. I also tried side loading to the iPad and that was a little fater, but not significantly so I also bought an 802.11n access point to replace my 802.11g to see if that helps. I just set that up and haven't had a chance to run a speed test yet.

Dan

14. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I've been using the Stream for a couple of days with two Tivo's (neither hardwired) and it works perfectly.

My network consists of two Tivo Premiere's (both on Tivo wireless N adapters), Tivo Stream, iPad 2, two iPhone 4S phones, generic cable modem, wireless g laptop, PC server running Tivo desktop over wired cat5 to router, and an Asus RT-N56U dual band wireless N gigabit router.

I highly recommend the Asus router. Previously I had all sorts of issues streaming using a linksys g router. I set up the dual band Asus router to use the 5Ghz frequency for just the two Tivo Premieres and the 2.4Ghz frequency for everything else (ipad, iphones, laptop, thermostat, etc). The tivos stream tivo to tivo instantaneously as well as using Tivo Stream to ipad. No glitches and its super fast. Using TV Desktop to my PC server I get 50mbit/s easily from each Tivo. I can even download a show from each of the Tivo Premieres at the same time via Tivo Desktop to the PC and I get real world speed of 100mbit/s. With dualband you get two SSID's - one for each band.

I can't recommend a dual band wireless router enough. The Asus RT-N56U is expensive at $105 but has worked flawlessly since March 2011 with my Premieres. I see Asus makes other dual band models now also.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You should try the custom firmware for the RT-N56U. It makes it even better. I recently returned my EA-N66 AP to get a second RT-N56U to use as an AP. Because of how much better the custom firmware is over the Asus official firmware.

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

16. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I use the Asus RT-N66U. A bit more than some, but fantastic wireless range and performance, especially on 5ghz

17. DaveMachin

DaveMachin New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Just to add to the information - I've got one Premiere on a G wireless adapter and an Apple airport router. Got the Stream from Best Buy yesterday, and connected it to the router directly - the TiVo is still wireless. Streaming to the iPad works perfectly. A second simultaneous stream to a second iPad pauses often. So, looks like one stream on G is OK, but two is too much.

Also, I had the Stream delivered to BB for pick up. I got the email saying it was ready to pick up; when I got there, someone had brought the wrong product up to the front (a TiVo N adapter) - so they had to call to the back and get the Stream. It took about 5 minutes and they gave me 10% off for waiting :)

18. ort

ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Good to know!

I think I'll pick up a Stream next month.

Too many expenses and too much going on this month.

19. xraytech

xraytech New Member

Sep 15, 2012
    The initial set-up needs to be hardwired. After that, just reestablish the WiFi connection between your TiVo Premier via TiVo Wireless N Adaptor and WiFi Router and you're golden.

Steaming works just fine.

Side loading an hours worth of programing @ the highest resolution, takes about 20 mins

Beware Jailbroken iOS devices!!!

The TiVo App will not work on a Jailbroken iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch

20. ort

ort Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Wait, the initial setup needs to be hardwired? That's a pain in the butt.

I would have to drag my TiVo downstairs?