1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeland - Ugh...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BradJW, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BradJW

BradJW Active Member

Jun 9, 2008
    I just started watching this show. So far I really like it. But I wish they would have done the marines a LOT better.

Sgt. Brody wears Dress Alphas a lot. He's got Gunnery Sergeant Insignia and three hash marks, but he's called Sgt, not Gunny or Gunnery Sergeant.

Except in Episode 8. He's wearing his dress blues (finally) but he's wearing Sergeant Insignia, and only 1 hashmark.

And that damn haircut!

I've been able to overlook the haircut, but the uniform mistakes are too much to handle!

Still, I do love this show. Next time, please at least talk to someone with a military background. It'd make the show that much better.
  2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

I just got this from Amazon and am going to start watching it tonight.
  3. Ereth

Ereth Active Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have only watched the Pilot (picked up during the Showtime marathon that my Hopper deleted half of!) but the thing that got me right away was the return sequence where they brought him out and said something like "Hello Marines" and the Marines did a "hoo ah!" which is an ARMY thing, not Marines. "Semper Fi" would have been most appropriate, but that really bugged me.

Heck, that was even a plot point on Jericho a few years ago, so you'd think all the writers would know it by now!
  4. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    You just have to let stuff like that go.

For instance, just about every single lawyer show completely mangles even the most basic elements of a trial. It used to bother me, but now I just roll my eyes at it and move on.
  5. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    It's been a while since I watched the pilot, but are you sure they said "hooah" which, like you said is an Army call, and not "oo-rah", which is the Marine Corps version?

--Carlos V.
  6. BradJW

BradJW Active Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Marines most definitely do Hoo ah - but it's pronounced Ooh Rah. I've never heard marines yell Semper Fi in a group like that. That's more a one on one greeting.
  7. BradJW

BradJW Active Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Yeah. Still loving this show. Episode 9, Crossfire right now.

Should be caught up in a day or two.
  8. astrohip

astrohip Active Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston & Brenham TX
    I've watched this show since minute zero. Read every thread we started on it. Watched the Season Two Premiere Sunday.

And in all those posts in all those threads and in all those reviews I've read, not once has anyone commented on it, or felt the need to start a thread about it.

At what point does one simply enjoy a show, as versus tear it apart? I'm not denying that each of us has our own nits & picks. And certain scenes or events or backgrounds or phrases used or clothes worn will make us go "oh no way" because we know better, maybe because of our job or background. But really, who cares? Unless it's a game changer, or so outside the canon of the universe so created, who really cares?

I don't mean to go off on you like this, but lately these TCF threads are full of people who tear scenes & shows apart for the most minor details. Something that 99.99% of viewers not only couldn't pick up on, but don't care about if so informed.

Questioning why steam engines don't work in Revolution is to be expected.

Complaining about a uniform having the wrong stripes is just nitpicking.

9. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I'm not sure I agree. In a show where the storyline deals with politics and the military and political intrgue and geopolitical terror plots, part of the setting IS the US military. And getting it right is important.

I mean, if a minor character had the wrong uniform on, but was in the background, so what? But when we see a character multiple times, I expect attention to detail.

But that's just me. Oh, and perhaps a few others, too.