1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeland - 9/30/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brebeans, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1 of 56
    brebeans

brebeans New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    No thread yet?

I thought this episode was a really good start and, again, I was left with the feeling...."huh? It's over ALREADY?". Can't wait for each episode. I'm glad they moved things forward to have Brody be a Congressman already. It avoids some redundancies that could have happened and sets up lots of different angles.

Characters are awesome.

I would have wanted to tell Estes to ***ck off, but it's in her blood, so I understand why she didn't Hopefully, Saul, can "manage" her in a way that keeps it all moving forwar! Love this show!

2. Oct 2, 2012 #2 of 56
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    We're still catching up on S01, based on recommendations here. Up to about S01E07. Liking it well enough so far.

3. Oct 2, 2012 #3 of 56
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I have fear that the tension will be missing this season. We already know the answers to the REALLY critical "Is he? Will he?" questions.

A couple of the happenings in this first episode were too pat for what we expect from Homeland.

Estes has a list of future drone targets filed away in his office? Methinks the targets are picked in short timeframes based on fresh intelligence. And then Nassir needed Brody hisself to go get the docs? No way.

Why were they locking gates at the end of the bazaar as Carries approached? The store just happened to be closing?

Dana just happens to blurt out that Dad is a Muslim in her class with the Vice-President's son?

The Vice-President is going to pick a freshman congressman with a whole few months of experience to be his running mate? There's a big need to shore up the vote of the DC area voters? :rolleyes:

The CIA needs Carrie because an unknown source with a critical warning will only talk to her. R-i-g-h-t.

A bit disappointing. As I said I hope they can get close to the original level of tension.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #4 of 56
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I didn't follow the list of targets thing. I thought it was a list of known potential targets of terrorists. Why would they keep that in a safe anyway? Was Brody sent to retrieve it so they would know which of their "actual" targets are "known" targets?

5. Oct 2, 2012 #5 of 56
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I expected Brody to take a photo of the document from Estes' safe instead of handwriting everything and wasting precious seconds. Other than that, I'm glad it's back!

6. Oct 2, 2012 #6 of 56
    Dawghows

Dawghows Active Member

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    There was a line of dialog when he was going through security saying something to the effect that no electronics/cellphones were allowed in. (Assuming I heard correctly, which happens less and less often over the years.)

7. Oct 2, 2012 #7 of 56
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I missed that. But James Bond used a good, old-fashioned film spy-camera ... back in the day! ;)
    Do they even make those cardboard, disposable film cameras anymore?

8. Oct 2, 2012 #8 of 56
    Dawghows

Dawghows Active Member

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I just recently threw out a box of junk, including an old "Spy Pen Camera" I had when I was a kid. Didn't actually look very much like an ink pen, though, to be honest.

9. Oct 2, 2012 #9 of 56
    DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    That's how I took it.

It was a test of his loyalty. Who knows how much they really needed it.

It seemed to me that gate was already locked. Maybe it's always locked. The store was not closed, since Carrie entered it from within the bazaar. Not sure why you would care about this.

Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, but she is a teenager, and teens don't always have the best judgment.

McCain picked Sarah Palin. That was less believable, and that is the real world. :D

I thought this was a good way to bring Carrie back in. They had to have some reason to bring her back, and I thought last season they established that she had been in the field and had "agents" such as this one. Yeah it's convenient, but other shows would just do some hand waving and then have her back as a full agent within the first half hour of the show.

I thought this was a strong episode. It layed the groundwork for a new season, so of course there's not going to be the same level of tension as later episodes. Will she make the vegetable lasagna or won't she? ;) I did think the level of tension was pretty high in second half of the episode. Not bomb vest in the shelter high, but up to par with last season.

10. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Did you notice the big grin on Carrie's face after she faked out the guy that was chasing her? She's an adrenaline junkie, she craves the "high" of being in the field. That is her blessing and curse

Nazir probably doesn't have a lot of people who could get into Estes' office, Brody was probably the best choice

I didn't read it that way, I thought she just ended up at a dead end that was locked, like a fire exit.

He didn't steal a list he stole "keys to a database" note that it was a set of numbers that Brody copied into his notebook -- it is possible that what Brody stole isn't what Nazir's journalist friend said it was. Those numbers could be any number of things

I'll let it go for plot purposes, and remember Brody doesn't think he has a real chance, Brody is also a "War Hero"

Of all the ways they had to get Carrie back into the CIA (otherwise the series doesn't go much of anywhere) this one was the least unbelievable. I thought Carrie was going to work for her friend at "Ballard Home Communications" and Saul was going to "sub contract" some stuff out to them

11. Dawghows

Dawghows Active Member

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I read an interview with the writers just this morning where they said they lifted this idea more-or-less directly from a John le Carré novel. Not to say that's a validation, necessarily. I just thought it was interesting.

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Keys to a database make even less sense to keep on paper.

13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Brody's treachery is becoming less and less believable. When he was asked to steal the information from Estes safe, he explained that he would not help them attack innocents. But as soon as Issa was mentioned, Brody was willing to go through with the theft with no further explanation. That just does not make any sense. Brody is worried about the poor boy Issa getting killed, so he is going to help the terrorists kill innocent American boys and girls?

Brody's motivation does not ring true. And I cannot buy that he was brainwashed so that whenever he though of Issa, he would do whatever horrible thing he was asked to do -- for the terrorists to have the ability to do something so specific to his mind while leaving the rest of his considerable intellect operating efficiently seems highly unlikely.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Clearly, Brody hasn't discovered camera phones yet.

I didn't understand the safe thing either. Why would Nazir want this list anyway? Is he going to attack places that the CIA already thinks are targets? Why???

15. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Wasn't Issa killed in the drone attack? That was the catalyst for Brody becoming an almost terrorist. She mentions Issa, and he remembers his rage at the USA and is more willing to perform the task she has for him. I don't remember any discussion of killing innocent American boys and girls.

And don't forget, they can completely ruin Brody's life by divulging that he has been working for them. He murdered someone for them. He pretty much has to do what they say if he wants things to continue as they are.

16. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The "task" as you call it, is to steal information that will help the terrorists kill civilians. Brody told her, "I will not help you with the killing of innocent civilians". I'm surprised you cannot remember that -- it was a pivotal scene in this episode.

17. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    They made a point of the guard at the entrance security check taking his cell phone

If Nazir knows what the drones are going to target, he could move his people out of the way and/or put innocents in harms way.

18. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    How long before we find out the Nazir deliberately put Issa in danger of being killed so that he could get complete control over Brody. It's not a stretch to believe that children would be used in this way...and Brody's reaction to that news?

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Great episode. Nobody plays slightly crazy, very bipolar, extremely intense like Claire Danes plays Carrie Matheson. Most deserved Emmy in history.

Y'all can pick this to pieces, but it's more fun if you just watch and enjoy. And really, most of what you're picking apart isn't crazy bad (like Revolution, where we wonder why steam engines don't work, etc). Brody's motivation is what it is. What he stole from Estes safe is what it is. We can't over-analyze the legitimacy of what he stole, because we don't really know how it will come into play.

And honestly, the joy of TCF TV threads is truly diminished by the incessant whining. Again, I understand when a show has become untrue to its canon. But jeez, we don't even know what the canon is for this year.

I thought we already knew that. But maybe that's because I assumed that's what actually happened, so I assumed I saw it.:)

20. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I remember the scene fine. I was responding to your quote where you seemed to be putting "the poor boy Issa" on one side of the scale and "American boys and girls" on the other. Brody wasn't weighing the life of Issa, who is already dead by the way, against the lives of American children. He was being reminded of the reason he turned against the US government, and probably realizing at the same time what might happen to him if he refused to do what she was asking. I just didn't find his actions any less believable than what we've seen him do before.