1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy Crap, Batman, that's a lot of space!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by markp99, May 23, 2012.

1. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I've had my new XL4 for about a week (replacing my original S3).

The 4-tuner goodness is pretty amazing, with 3 or 4 of them churning most of the time. I am only at "12% full" but have a mountain of programming to watch, with over 100 suggestions among the MANY scheduled recordings.

The suggestions engine is matching my preference pretty closely, after a couple rounds of adding thumbs-down to stuff I did not like.

I cannot imagine this TiVo getting to >50%, let alone 100%! Yikes. :eek:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The suggestion recordings will not increase the usage meter. You could have 300 hour long HD suggestions and it would not increase the percentage of the usage meter.

I recently enabled suggestions on my both of my Elites. They have been recording suggestions like crazy. Using all four tuners alot. I enabled it only five days ago and I already have over 130 HD suggestions on each box.

3. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Ahh, good to know, Thanks!!

4. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I remember having an internship in college, and one day the IT guy came in with a 1 GB hard drive. I remember thinking, "Wow...how will anybody ever fill that up?"

Your perspective will change in a few months.

5. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Similar story, only in an earlier year. A co-worker was considering buy a 20MB (yes "MB") drive. I told him he'd never hope to fill that thing. D'oh, was I ever wrong! :);)

He is happy to remind me of that statement to this day!

6. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    My first PC was an original IBM 8088 with a 20MB HD. I upgraded it to 40MB for a whopping $250. How things change:eek:

7. aaronkn

aaronkn New Member

Nov 8, 2002
    I'll go one better. First computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3. 2Mhz processor, NO hard drive, two 5.25" floppys, and a cassette interface for saving data to tapes. :D

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    My first real computer was a TRS-80 CoCo 1 with 4k of RAM, and NO floppy. ONLY cassette interface. No networking. No Internet. TV monitor with 32 columns of text. Software was something you keyed in manually, in BASIC, from magazines, or bought on a ROM cartridge. Slow-ass printer and 300 baud modem came quite a while later. But I used even older stuff before that- Timex Sinclair, Heathkit, Model 1, etc.

When you look back at all the change, it is truly mind bending. And no matter what I currently have, it is never fast enough, never enough storage, and never has all the features I want :)

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There was no "Internet" as we know it now back when I had my Commodore 64, but there were forums (dial up bulletin boards). :p

I was so jealous of my friends that were able to upgrade to the Commodore 128. :D

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Mine is almost full. I don't have suggestions turned on, but the other day I had 8 programs in recently deleted. It's mainly because I have 4-5 shows that I have not watched at all this season, so I have 22-24 hours of each just sitting there. I'll either watch them this summer or I'll delete them and the SP before next season starts.

Dan

11. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    Yup, Commodore 64 was my first then the 128 and then off to the races.

12. blackngold75

blackngold75 Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Oh, yeah. Commodore 64 with the cassette drive. I remember buying a book of programs including Lunar Lander. Awesome!

13. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    My concern is when the hard drive stops working. I am not a computer expert so I am not comfortable buying a hard drive and following the steps to get it to work with Tivo so to buy one ready from weaknees will be expensive :(

14. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Weaknees is a great option, and not really too much more expensive that DIY. Really is plug and play from them...

15. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Hard drives all have limited read/write capabilities. Eventually they will fail. I don't like to needlessly use that capacity up by allowing TiVo to record shows that I may not like or care to watch so I don't leave the suggestions feature enabled. I am quite capable of shortening the life of my equipment without help from TiVo!

16. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Too bad that doesn't matter as Tivo is writing to the hard drive 24/7 for your Live TV cache. Recordings put no extra stress on the drive.

17. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    So, you're saying that if I have my Tivo in standby mode and I don't have any recordings scheduled of my own design, that Tivo is constantly recording to the HD??? I can't believe that's true.

However, if I have it in standby mode my hunch is that it WILL kick in the suggestions feature and start recording all on its own. Or, am I wrong on this one too???

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    All standby does is disable the outputs. The Tivo still records the live TV buffers.

If you have automatic recording of suggestions turned off, standby will not cause them to start recording.
    If you have suggestions turned on, standby allows the Tivo to record suggestions without any input from the user (It doesn't need to ask if it can change a channel to record a suggestion).

19. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Your Live TV is constantly buffered (I.E. written to the hard drive) so long as the Tivo is connected to power.

And no, as long as suggestions are disabled, under no circumstances will your box record them.

20. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Wow...four tuners constantly buffering no matter the mode the unit is set to?!?!? I'm guessing Tivo couldn't qualify for an "Energy Star" rating????

Personally, I think that's a true waste of energy and can't help but wonder if there wasn't a better way for Tivo to implement this- both to conserve energy and prolong hard drive life. I'm not so addicted to television that, when turning it on, I feel I MUST backup to the start of the buffering session for a show that's being buffered by my four tuners.

Thanks for the education.