1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints & Tips

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by mikerr, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    I thought I'd begin a list of tips for the VM TiVo

• Pressing CLEAR works as a shortcut for delete on most pages - most handy on the "my shows" page
    • Press SKIP >| to quickly jump to the top or bottom of long lists , e.g. My Shows
    • Channel up/down works as page up/down in lists

• Press and hold TEXT switches your TV AV sources - that's how I flip between VM TiVo / TiVo S1 / DVD
    • Press and hold POWER button turn turn TV on/off - a short press makes TiVo go into standby
    • Press SLOW to toggle mini TV screen at top right

• Resets the GUI if frozen on red ring (though I've never seen this luckily!)
      - Thumb Down - Thumb Up - Play - Play
    • The good old shortcuts still work - though it's "home" and not "TiVo" button:

Home Home : My recordings (now playing)
      Home 1 : Manage series links
      Home 2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
      Home 3 : Wishlists
      Home 4 : Search all TV
      Home 5 : Browse all TV
      Home 0 : full screen TV + pause ?
    • Whilst fast forwarding / rewinding pressing the skip forward 30sec or skip back buttons takes you to the next white bar (usually 10 mins) useful in catchup/ondemand which only have one fastforward /rewind speed.
    • Pressing UP while watching a recording, cycles the output through all the available video formats. e.g. 576p / 1080p
    • Pressing OK while watching Live TV or a recorded program brings up a small 3 line TV listing guide(screenshot)
      Use the directional buttons to navigate or type a channel number to jump to a different channel.
    • You can create your own folders (effectively):
      Auto-record Wish List searches appear in My Recordings as a folder for items which match the search.
      This works even for recordings which weren't recorded by the Wish List itself (read more #32)

• If you press Play on a folder in My Recordings, it will play everything in the folder in sequence
      (date order, oldest first)
      - great for catching up on a whole series, or archiving shows overnight via scart.
      - this can also save you going into the folder if it only contains one item.

• You can switch between tuners by pressing Info, then scrolling down to the bottom icons.
    • Now the Jump buttons (>|) skip forwards 30 seconds and backwards 8 seconds.
      If you want the s1 behaviour of skipping to the start or end of a recording, press and hold them.
      (They don't cycle, so you have to press the right one for the direction you want to go.)

• In My Shows and Recordings/My Shows/Suggestions/Improve My Suggestions there is a list of every Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down.
      You can edit existing thumbs here too

Post your findings, and I'll keep this first post updated !

2. Filw

Filw New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Brighton...
    Discovered by accident - pressing "Slow" while in the menus toggles the existence of the mini screen top right.

That little screen always annoyed the hell out of me on the V+ box when trying hard NOT to watch something I was recording for later..

3. Filw

Filw New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Brighton...
    Just thought of another told to me by the installer...

Thumb Down - Thumb Up - Play - Play

is a little sequence to reset the GUI.

Apparently might be useful if the "red worm of death" wait screen appears. Not seen that yet myself but the box only arrived today!

4. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Have you tried the TiVo app yet?

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
  6. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....

• Just be careful too many presses or a long hold down and it will clear your "my shows" page.
      Thank goodness for the undelete function :up::up::up:

7. dwarfofpoison

dwarfofpoison dwarfofpoison

Feb 5, 2011
    London
    Quality post, much rather this type of theme rather than a virgin bashing.

8. frobozz

frobozz New Member

May 2, 2002
    Burnley
    Whilst fast forwarding / rewinding pressing the skip forward 30sec or skip back buttons takes you to the next white bar. V useful in catchup/ondemand which only have one fastforward /rewind speed.

9. CeeBeeUK

CeeBeeUK New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    I had mapped my volume controls successfully, but my TV would not power up and down, then someone posted on another thread about the TV power button.

If you hold the tivo remote power button down for a couple of seconds, the light flashes green and the TV will power power cycle. A quick press and the the light flashes red and the tivo power cycles. In theory... my third box is currently be tested by the technician!

10. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Wow! I've been keeping my old (deluxe!) peanut next to the new one, as it didn't appear TV on/off and AV input were included on the new one. Thanks for letting us know, as I would never have guessed either one.

11. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Yes ... works for me ... only problem is that my Samsung leaves the menu of source options on the screen so I have to dig out its remote to press "exit" to remove that!

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    Found out the the good old shortcuts still work - though a bit different:

Home+Home : My recordings (now playing)
    Home+1 : Manage series links
    Home+2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
    Home+3 : Wishlists
    Home+4 : Search all TV
    Home+5 : Browse all TV

Home+0 : does something strange - it flips to full screen and pauses ?

13. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Its confused because someone stole the opening animation

14. uksurfing72

uksurfing72 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Is there any reason not to stick TiVo in standby mode?

15. doctor.steve

doctor.steve New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    South Yorkshire
    Thanks Mikerr,

Was stuck on what the delete was - but it's "clear" of course :)

I know it's early days :eek: - but does anyone have a discrete for the power ?
    I didn't power off my V+ box as I recall it used the same amount of power on as well as off - plus it was brighter off with all the lights on it.

One thing the good lady misses is the display on the front of the old box telling you how far thru a program you were. (fast key of play tells this now).

16. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Up North
    Another "obvious" one - the SKIP FORWARD button jumps to the end or start of menus and lists
    e.g. View-upcoming-progs, searches
    ...and YouTube search is always at the bottom of searches...

17. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    So far as I know, only the inconvenience of having to push a button to do it, and then push another button to wake it up.

I don't bother because the benefit is minimal. It stops asserting its output, which can help some TVs switch off, but since my TV doesn't have a problem switching off with active inputs this isn't a benefit for me.

The second thing Standby does is tell TiVo nobody is watching it. Series 1 TiVo would only record Suggestions if it thought nobody was lookng, so if you just switched the TV off and walked away, it would wait 30 minutes to be sure you'd gone. I don't know if VM TiVo is the same. Frankly, I'm not bothered about this anyway.

Some more tips:
    • You can switch between tuners by pressing Info, then scrolling down to the bottom icons.
    • Now the Jump buttons skip forwards 30 seconds and backwards 8 seconds. If you want the s1 behaviour of skipping to the start or end of a recording, press and hold them. (They don't cycle, so you have to press the right one for the direction you want to go.)
    • While watching live, OK brings up a mini-Guide for changing channel. In the mini-Guide (or TV Guide), Blue changes the channel filter.
    • Series 1 TiVo automatically adds a Thumbs Up when you create a Season Pass. VM Tivo doesn't. So if you've already set up your Series Links you might want to go through and Thumb them all, to help kick-start suggestions. You can Thumb new Series Links as you create them.
    Some are in the manual, but not obvious if you don't read manuals. It took me 3 days to discover the first one, and it's made me so happy.

18. daz100

daz100 New Member

Feb 3, 2011
    My TiVo automatically thumbs up my series linked shows.:up:

19. big_dirk

big_dirk uktivo.blogspot.com

Feb 17, 2006
  20. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    The S1 used to do that IIRC.

Just been through the discovery bar setting Series Links, etc. It does seem quite slow at that.. as slow as the S1! I had some taking a couple of minutes (with the jam donut on screen the whole time so I couldn't do anything).

You have to be really careful what channel it's picking.. It doesn't automatically pick HD, new series, or anything - I got into the habit of always selecting options so I could check/modify.