1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIMYM - Sunrise - OAD 2/3/14

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by vman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1 of 26
    vman

vman Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    No thread? Back to an episode without the mother, which is disappointing. Overall so-so. The main good thing was the part where Ted finally lets Robin go (although the floating away was dumb). Interesting last week the mother let go of her previous love, and this week Ted did, so they are now both "ready" to meet each other. While the Barney stuff was ok, I did kind of like the end with him giving his final advice to the two guys, esp the part about it's not legendary unless your friends are there.

And while I didn't much care for the Marshall/Lilly stuff, I am curious how they did the "young" Lilly scenes.

2. Feb 5, 2014 #2 of 26
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I laughed when Marshall's father showed up.

3. Feb 5, 2014 #3 of 26
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    I was impressed with whatever they did to accomplish young Lilly, she looked terrific.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #4 of 26
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I thought it was so-so also. In fact, I forgot I had even watched this week's episode.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 26
    Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I thought we were done with episodes with Marshall acting all by himself because he's making a film...

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 26
    sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    He wasn't really acting with ghosts, you know... :p

7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 26
    Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I think it's clear what the writers intend. The previous episode ended with The Mother, after years of not being open to a new relationship, finally letting go of her reluctance, her connection to her previous love. It was full of moments when Destiny (i.e., chance encounters with her to-be-soulmate) crept up on her, but she rebuffed them because she wasn't ready for it. Then she finally decided to move on. And this episode ended with Ted, we are meant to think, doing the same thing: finally letting go of Robin, and thus, finally becoming ready for Destiny to come. Thus setting the stage for a "now that we're both finally ready, now, we can finally meet" scene.

The trouble is, the "Ted finally letting go of Robin" thing was beaten to death over the years. Now, like the boy who cried wolf, we can't trust that this time is any more real than all the others, except for the meta fact that this time the writers need it to be real because they only have so many episodes in which to wrap up the story. But in the story, in the show, there's nothing about this one that's really more convincing than all the previous ones. If the show got a surprise renewal for another year, we'd all be not at all surprised if, midway through next season, Ted tearfully confessed he was still hung up on Robin.

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 26
    jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Ted is such a ******bag. What kind of jerk tells the bride on her wedding day that he still has feelings for her but he's going to let her go.

I can deal with the cliche of telling the bride about feelings and trying to win her back and then going off into the sunset together. That's been played out so many times in so many shows and movies. But this was just Ted being an idiot. Don't ruin the wedding day for the bride by making her think about you.

And the floating away thing ruined the whole episode. I kept expecting them to pan to a nearby skeet shooting range and then show her shot out of the sky. That would have been great!!

9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 26
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
  10. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    hard to write things with a straight face, but I tried! :D

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kind of agree that it's not any more convincing, but based on what we know, it's real. That's either the script or the actors' faults.

I missed the first 10 minutes or so because of snow on my dish. I'll have to go and find it now.

12. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I have a feeling there will be at least 1 more "letting go" before the end.. Ted is a ******..

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought the floating away was kind of neat... and the speech on the bridge was pretty moving.. until the chick threw the locket in the water...

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I get the symbolism that it's (supposedly) finally over, but the floating away thing was just another one of those things that the writers choose to do that just makes me roll my eyes and reinforce the 'this is stupid' feeling I've had about the show for a while now.

I don't think we've seen the end of the locket. I'm guessing there will be another flash back where Ted goes after it.

15. rcandsc

rcandsc Mark it 8 Dude.. TCF Club

Feb 5, 2014
    Liberty, MO.
    The wife and I feel like we are just playing out the string with HIMYM at this point. We have watched since Ep1 and it's more like a habit than enjoyment at this point. I guess we are holding out hope that there might be a redeeming episode or two before this comes to an end...

Ted is a complete d***he...Give it up already with Robin.

16. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Only six more episodes of this (the last being a double-length).

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Of course she was going to throw the locket off the bridge. I saw that coming the whole time. I thought Ted was going to dive in after it. Maybe we'll get another flashback where he does.

18. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Well, the Robin thing has been beaten to death, and yet people still think Ted and Robin should get together somehow. I think this season has gotten stronger as it has gone on. This wasn't as good as last week but overall the season is much improved from the 45 hours of watching Marshall talk to an irrelevant character in a Hummer. I think they are doing a good job of resolving storylines while also harkening back to what made this show good.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm on the side of the fence that says that Robin floating away was ultra-lame. I understad they needed to show that Ted had finally actually let go. But that was just way outside the normal style of this show to have her float into the air.

I also thought the Barney stuff was completely pointless. Why introduce two random kids at this late stage in the show?

20. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I believe that was too also show Barney letting go of his past. At least that was the way I took it.