1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIMYM S07E23/4 "The Magician's Code" 14 May 2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, May 14, 2012.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    As much as I like Quinn, I'm glad that Barney is marrying Robin...

And I loved Robin's vet stuff with Lily. Very funny...

And little baby Marvin definitely has the coolest middle name ever...

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Agreed.

3. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I'm glad that Victoria's back. I've long harbored hopes that Victoria could be the mother, and while I'm guessing that that's not going to happen, I'm happy to see her back on the show.

I don't know that I like Robin and Barney winding up together, as I liked the Quinn/Barney dynamic (although it was pretty predictable that the magic trick would lead to a ring), but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    In the minority, really? If so, count me in it, too. I like her and am glad to see her back. Alas, we've already been told that Ted meets the mother at Barney's wedding, so we know Victoria isn't she. So it's yet another stall... but at least with someone we like.

I agree with all of that (except maybe the "it'll be interesting" part). I also liked Barney and Quinn together, and actually believed them as a couple much more than I ever did Barney and Robin. It's not a surprise that Quinn won't be marrying Barney because it didn't seem likely that Becki Newton could stay around (especially because she's in another show next fall!), but I'm not especially happy that she has to give way to Robin. Not really looking forward to more meaningless twists and turns and "we'll get to that"'s explaining how this comes to pass.

5. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Ted is a despicable.

He was left at the alter and it nearly destroyed him, now he's doing the same to someone else. He should have made her tell her fiancee that it was over first, it also would have made her decide really if she is just panicking or really loves Ted more than her fiancee.

6. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Why did Barney need a magician when he didn't reveal the secrets of the trick, he just "performed the trick".

7. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think he was hoping that he could get out of the situation without having to actually perform the trick and have to propose to Quinn in the middle of the airport terminal.

As for the overall...

Back when Robin and Barney were a couple, I was a big fan of them as a couple, but I think I liked Barney and Quinn together even better (although that might just be because she's a stripper :)), so I'm a little disappointed.

And I agree with robo; Ted Mosby is a jerk. Also, I can't exactly remember why, but I really really disliked Victoria as a GF for Ted back when they were first going out. On the other hand, I don't really care much for Ted either, so I guess they're perfect for each other. :)

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    1. It was pretty obvious the magic trick was an engagement ring.
    2. As soon as they said, "Ted, the bride wants to see you" I knew it was Robin. Don't like that choice.
    3. I love Victoria! Also wish she was the mom. The episode when he first met her is one of my favorites in the whole series.
    4. Definitely the coolest middle name ever!

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    ex-stripper

10. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    After the proposal, it was clear that Quinn was not the bride. However, I disagree with those above. I was disappointed it was Robin. I'd much rather it be Quinn, or even someone unexpected, like Victoria, than Robin.

11. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    OK, we know Ted meets The Mother at Barney's wedding. So the question is, will we see the wedding early next season so we can witness the courtship, etc. or will Barney's wedding be the finale and Ted will meet The Mother on the very last episode and BAM the show ends without us ever really getting to know her.

My guess is we will be introduced to the character (and I think it will be Barney's sister, Carly Whittaker) but Ted won't run into her until the wedding. Kind of like how they had storylines and appearances for both Robin and Ted for much of this season even though the characters were avoiding each other.

12. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Maybe Robin gets cold feet before the wedding and runs off with Ted...hopefully for neither to be heard from again. :p

13. mdougie

mdougie New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I could be wrong, but it is my understyanding that Ted meets the mother at the lesbian wedding. The ex roomate. The girl with the yellow umbrella.

14. USAFSSO

USAFSSO New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    But then it would be Your Mom 'Aunt' Robin.

15. su719

su719 New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    And she was in his first class.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Nah. I think they are near the end of the doubles and decptions. Robin and Barney together.

This is from memory of what I read somewhere. Could be slightly wrong.

Next season is supposed to be about how they get to the point of Robin and Barney with us meeting the mother. I think they center the last season (the one after) around the mom.

17. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I liked the "hot college seniors" pulling a "Spartacus" on the bus so Marshall could get to the hospital.

I don't understand why part 1 was titled "The Magician's Code" as there was no reference to that at all. :confused:

As for Ted running off with Victoria? That's a "soft 2." :D

18. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    We know that Carly Whittaker is in college.

19. Joules1111

Joules1111 Not Drawful

Jul 21, 2005
    That was my favorite part of the episode.

I like "wait for it" as the middle name, but Marvin is horrible (I know, I know - he's names after his grandfather).

20. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I'm no fan of Ted's, but I can't necessarily agree with him being despicable in this situation. First off, keep in mind that Victoria's fiancé was "the other man" when Victoria was in Europe, so as far as I'm concerned he owes the man nothing. Second, not to get overly cliche, but I think at some points in life you have to be selfish, and if taking her back to the church was going to cost him the girl, I say don't take that chance and drive off into the sunset. And third, it's entirely possible that Ted looked at it and said, "It's happened to me and I survived, so will he."

As I think more about this episode, we could have a couple of amazingly sad storylines, as we presumably know that neither Barney nor Ted will wind up with the women they're with, after making very public displays of affection and effectively saying, "I'm all in here." I'm not sure if I like that angle to the chain of events.