1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIMYM - "How Your Mother Met Me" OAD 01/27/2014

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeff92k7, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    This sounds like it's going to be a good episode for all of us who want to see more of the Mother. I'm guessing it will be her narrating the story and will be from her perspective. I'm very excited to see how the episode goes.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Judging from this episode, they should've figured out how to get Cristin Milioti into every episode of HIMYM this season. She's wonderful!

From here on I'm just skipping any episode that she's not in.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    She really is fantastic.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Crap. They got me.

5. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Damn it all, why couldn't the season have been this?

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    EXACTLY!
    This is why some of us have been so livid at the wasted episodes this season that were barely mediocre, THIS is what they get right when they're firing on all cylinders and not just phoning it in.

I'd go as far as saying that this may be one of their best episodes in the series.

7. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    Except you need to have seen all the previous episodes of the series to get most of what they showed in this one episode.

8. vman

vman Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Totally agree with above about it being a great episode and wishing they had done a lot more with the mother this season. In fact, I actually was annoyed by the ending with Barney being gone, because it likely just leads to more of the usual stuff rather than the great stuff with the mother. Wonder where Lily went - she's not with the mother!

9. Fahtrim

Fahtrim New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    That was actually an awesome episode. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Hope they can do even half as good on the rest of this season.

10. jilter

jilter Happy to be here.

Oct 4, 2002
    My family always watch and discuss this show and I partially pay attention. However, this episode really caught my attention. Very well done. The actress who plays the mother is wonderful.

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    If they spin off a series starring the mother, I'm in.

12. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    yes me too, the rest of the cast has been swirling around the bowl the whole season..

So who is detailed (obsessed) enough to list all the call backs to previous episodes. :)

13. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    From the HIMYM wiki for this episode:
    • Ted's shellfish joke was made back in Double Date.
    • The Mother says "What the damn hell?!" just like how Marshall and Daphne said in previous episodes.
    • Kelly mentions that she once met a guy who tried to pick up girls by saying that his penis granted wishes. This is one of Barney's plays first shown in The Playbook.
    • When drinking at MacLaren's Pub Louis seems to believe that it's called Puzzles. This means that he was at the bar during the events of Three Days of Snow.
    • The Mother shows many of her quirks that Future Ted revealed throughout the span of the series, as well as many quirks she shares with Ted:
      • Her paintings of robots playing sports
      • Her breakfast singing show
      • A love for caligraphy
      • A love for coins
      • Proper pronunciation of certain words such as renaissance
    • Clips from many previous episodes were seen including:
      • The bar scene in Pilot, where Ted and Barney play have you met Ted
      • The scene in The Mermaid Theory and Now We're Even where Ted wears a dress.
      • The scene(s) from The Leap/Definitions in the Econ 305 class that Ted mistakenly teaches.
      • The scene in Bass Player Wanted where The Mother buys a drink for Ted
      • The club scene in No Tomorrow.
      • The breakup scene in Girls Versus Suits and the aftermath that followed.
      • The scene in "Now We're Even" when Lily and Barney make up, and Ted walks in wearing a dress.
    • In the scene in which meets Louis and The Mother, a "Save the Arcadian" sign can be seen in the background, indicating they met sometime during Season 6. However, when they meet for a drink, Lily and Barney are seen making up following their fight in The Mermaid Theory, which is followed by
    • Ted entering the bar wearing a dress, indicating that they met at the same night the events of Now We're Even.
    • Louis was seen as The Mother's boyfriend in The Time Travelers.
    • It is revealed that the Mother knew Mitch, the Naked Man, from music lessons prior to the series. He also attempts the Naked Man on her unsuccessfully, establishing his 2/3 rule.
    • In 2008 it's shown that The Mother is reading "Worlds End" a book of which she lent Cindy in 2009 when Ted pointed it out when visiting her house in Girls Versus Suits.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Let me offer the completely original observation that Bays & Thomas hit a towering home run with casting Cristin Milioti. Wow, is she appealing. The final scene of her playing the ukelele was beautiful and sad.

I think it doesn't speak well for what the show has been doing creatively that it could shuffle all the main characters and story off to the side for an entire episode and they could go totally unmissed. The show is playing with something interesting and real in Marshall and Lilly, and I'm interested to see how that resolves, but that's all I really care to know more about.

More like this one, please.

15. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    "The Naked Man" is one of my favorite episodes of the series. So clever. I think they engaged in a bit of revisionist history to fit Mitch into this episode, though, as he was managing a CPK in the Naked Man episode.

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I don't think it rises to that level. It's more that it stands out so sharply from most of what has gone on around it this season. And Milioti elevates it further.

But it was very good, no disagreement there.

ETA: Sepinwall's review gets at something that bugged me a bit. We've all asked his first question, but his second one is valid, too:

17. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I would have much preferred this season taking place after they met and have it be a combination of her getting to know Ted and blending into the group dynamics paired with flashbacks of their past near misses and overlaps.

18. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    The could have started the season with this episode & it would have been perfect assuming the remaining episodes are on par.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is what I was hoping for actually. I know for many of us, the title was literal, but to me, that wouldn't have bent it too far.

That said, this was a wonderful episode. I agree with it being one of the best of the series. At it's best, HIMYM knew how to pull at your heartstrings. The best episodes were the ones where we got a glimpse of Ted moving toward meeting the mother, or Lily and Marshall struggles in their lives, or Barney and Robin's dance around and to each other. This one played right into that.

The more I think about this episode and how the rest of the season has gone, this should have been a 10 episode season at most. Then we wouldn't have needed all the silly filler.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    FYP.

The previous post talks about wasted episodes THIS season. And I agree. There were bits and pieces of most episodes that were important to the story, but much of it could have been told more succinctly in the context of few episodes with less filler. What we got were a lot of mediocre episodes with a tidbit of important information thrown in. I get why they had to do it this way (ratings of course), but it has made me impatient. Now that we are in the home stretch I hope we get a lot more substance (and more mother!) the rest of the way. I think there are three critical questions left to answer:

1) Lily and Marshall - what happens to their marriage? Subquestions: Does Lily go to Rome? Does Marshall stay and become a judge?

2) Do Barney and Robin go through with the wedding?

3) And of course, what are the circumstances that put the mother and Ted at the train station in Farhampton for their faithful meeting?