1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High RS corrected rates

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bunjicat, Sep 14, 2013.

  1. bunjicat

    bunjicat New Member

    Jan 14, 2012
    Long story short. After having macroblocking issues and high rs uncorrected and corrected rates I split the signal several times to get the snr from 40 to about 35. Uncorrected rs is now 0 but corrected climbs at a rate of 100 per second. Macroblocking issues appear fixed but I am concerned about the high rs corrected rates. Is this still a to much power issue or could this be related to the problematic cable cards which I am using. Before splitting the signal the rs corrected rate was a a whooping 1000 per second.
  2. ahwman

    ahwman Member

    Jan 24, 2013
    I don't know if I can help, however I'm having some similar issues. Most of the time I have zero corrected/uncorrected RS errors on the majority of my channels, however there are times where I will get pockets of high RS corrected/uncorrected errors. With my Roamio Pro I also have high SNR readings of 40 and signal strength of 99% which greatly concerned me based on TiVo's guidelines so I used a 20db attenuator which brought the signal level down between 80 to 85% and SNR to around 35. Mind you, the attenuator didn't have a unnoticeable affect on RS corrected/uncorrected errors. So I called my cable company and had a senior tech come out to check everything. When he saw the 20 DB attenuator, he freaked out and told me he was amazed that I was even getting a picture and immediately removed it. I explained that TiVo said that my SNR is way too high at 40 and should be around 35 or lower, and he started laughing suggesting that there's no such thing as too high of an SNR which is what I always understood to be true. He then told me that my signal level was absolutely perfect and that the error rate was one in 9 billion which is excellent. He also measured my signal right before the TiVo box with an SNR of 37, so either the TiVo is misreporting or it's amplifying the signal somehow. He couldn't explain why I am seeing pockets of high RS corrected/uncorrected errors. At this point I can only speculate that it's either a condition that is accentuated when under load, or the errors are in the transmission stream itself.

    I assume somebody smarter than myself would be better able to explain the situation. I will continue to investigate and if I find anything helpful! I will certainly update my post.
  3. bunjicat

    bunjicat New Member

    Jan 14, 2012
    That helps a lot. Thanks. One thing it does reinforce is how clueless the Verizon techs are when it comes to Tivo equipment and cable cards. I won't even call the tech support phone number because I know it will be a waste of time. I have eliminated the macro blocking issues by installing splitters. Before it gets to my Tivo box it goes through 2 7.5 db and one 4 db splitters. And I am still at around 37db snr and 90% signal strength. I ordered some attenuators from Amazon and I suspect that will improve the situation more. I have one of the original Fios ONT's installed and according to research these run very hot. I will report back when I get them installed.
  4. aristoBrat

    aristoBrat Active Member

    Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I think the Roamio does amplify the signal.

    In my living room, using the same coax, my Premiere 4 XL has a SNR of 34-37, whereas the Roamio was 44.

    Personally, I don't think the Roamio is misreporting it. When the SNR was 44 on the Roamio, it was impossible to get the cable card paired. I put a 4-way splitter in-line, which dropped the SNR to 38, and then the cable card paired perfectly.

Share This Page