1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Dollar Light

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cannonz, Jun 28, 2012.

1. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. phudson126

phudson126 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Design looks cool from where we are. But I guess it’s a bit expensive. Head tilts 270 degrees which means it’s very flexible. With matte chrome finish, the product would feel easy on your hands.

3. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Depends on the TiVo trademark - it covers DVRs for sure, but lighting fixtures? Not so sure.

Though, I'm not entirely sure about the name - there's nothing TiVo about it. Just looks like a fancy expensive wall sconce.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Has any one or does anyone know how to report this possible trade mark infringement to TiVo?

5. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    No, I know someone that works for Xerox.

6. Jul 3, 2012 #6 of 15
    glenbrado

glenbrado New Member

Jul 3, 2012
    but i thnk its for TiVo?

7. Jul 3, 2012 #7 of 15
    jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Not sure why the name Tivo is even associated with this fixture. Seems completely out of place.

8. Jul 3, 2012 #8 of 15
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    The light probably does time shifting and has a season pass feature. Pretty cool, if you ask me. Just do not try to use it with a Time Warner cable card.

9. Jul 3, 2012 #9 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Trademarks are for specific product and service types only. I doubt that TiVo Inc. claims their trademark for lamps. As long as this "Tivo" lamp is not using any of TiVo's other trademarks, such as the "TiVo Guy", it's fine. This why there can be Cadillac dog food, for example.

10. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
  11. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    yep- unless your Donald Trump (if I recall he sued an owner of the "Taj Mahal" Indian restaurant years ago before the case was thrown out) you usually aren't offended by such things since no one could confuse them with your product.

12. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I took a look through USPTO for trademark filings that contained "tivo". Naturally, most of them are for the TiVo we know and love, but not all. For example, there's a FRU:TIVO for a brand of frozen desserts.

Interestingly, TiVo Inc. has registered some peculiar entries, some "dead", others not. For example, "TIVO MEVO" and "TIVO MIVO". Also some odd graphic entries, such as:

[​IMG]

or how about this:

[​IMG]

TiVo (actually, TiVo Brands LLC) does claim the trademark for a bunch of things you could put the logo or name on, including sweatshirts, flying discs and hand puppets!

Then there's the dead entry "WE'RE TIVO FOR YOUR NETWORK", filed by Solera Networks in 2008, pertaining to network packet analysis. Apparently they thought "Tivo" was a generic word?

I don't see any separate claims for "tivo" as a name for lighting fixtures, though registration is not required for such things.

13. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like the round one, the alternate TV guy looks drunk.

14. CreepinDeth

CreepinDeth New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    That made me laugh......

There's just gotta be a coincidence here of using the same name :rolleyes:

15. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I wonder if it uses the Super High Intensity Tungsten bulb that interfere with the TiVo's remote operation?