1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Heroes' is coming back

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/22/nbc-heroes-reborn/5745541/

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I will punch my tv is Sylar is in this reboot.

3. pahunt

pahunt New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    England
    I usually don't like to prejudge things but I cannot see a way that this could be any good. They ran out of decent ideas before the end of season 1 and it was downhill rapidly from then on. Everyone blamed the writers strike in season 2 for screwing it up but for me it was dead long before that happened.

I understand that networks think they're tapping into guaranteed ratings when they revive an old show but why not pick a decent show that was cancelled too early rather than one that ran out of steam long before it finished. Arrested Development (different network, I know) being revived by Netflix while NBC are reviving Heroes illustrates to me, that none of the networks have a clue.

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Not interested....they did WAY too much damage the first time around for them to gain my trust to watch this...

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've decided that TV shows shouldn't be allowed to have "seasons" anymore, because when they go downhill, it always seems to happen during the changeover, and they come back for that next season not as good as they were in the previous one.

6. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Is there anyone who enjoyed Heroes through the end? I loved the first season and I think I only made it through half of season 2 before I bailed. And I'm not good about quitting shows. 24 and Weeds are examples of shows I watched to the bitter end.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There's a delightfully snarky story about this on Bleeding Cool.

For context, "Heroes Reborn" was a relaunch of Marvel's main characters (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and the Fantastic Four, I believe) by the way-cool but artistically challenged Image Comics crew back in the 90s. It is remembered with much disdain. And Jeph Loeb, who was one of the Heroes Reborn writers, was also one of the driving forces behind the Heroes TV show. He is now in charge of television development for Marvel (which means he's responsible for SHIELD, not The Avengers).

8. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Wow, you know they are out of new ideas when they need to reboot even the semi successful series.

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Pretty much the same here. The first season was fantastic and we got a lot of Hayden Panettiere love. Then it went down the toilet. Still, "save the cheerleader, save the world".

Yeah, I also stuck out with Weeds until the truly bitter end. I had to force myself to watch the last couple of seasons.

10. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I'd be happier with a Journeyman reboot. I still miss that show.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There's a valid reason why the show was canceled in the first place. There is absolutely no reason to bring it back.

12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    Maybe the reboot will start where Season 2 should have started. I seem to remember reading that the main characters were supposed to die at the end of Season 1, but that the network intervened and that's why everything went wonky after that. The network didn't want to risk new characters/actors when they had such popular folks from Season 1. I loved Season 1 and if Season 2 had gone as planned with all new characters, then I would like to see how that would have gone.

I'll definitely check out the reboot, but will be faster to bail if it's as bad as Season 2-end that we got before.

13. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my recollection: Season 1 of Heroes was fantastic. It did very well ratings wise. But the plan the writers had for Season 2 was that none of the original cast was coming back. The network suits got involved, and starting insisting on plot lines and how characters acted based upon their market surveys. What resulted was Season 2. I'd be interested if this reboot continued where the original writers intended.

14. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW the DVDs are available from the UK< and while you can't play them in a regular DVD or BD player, you can rip them and convert them to region free, they have some great extras.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Yep, pretty much it, S1 did better than they expected, and then the suits got involved and S2 and after were a fiasco.

The really sad part is that even in S1 they were having continuity issues from playing either without a bible, or with a sloppy continuity person; several were actually very embarrassing they would film a scene then the next week refer back to it and the scene would be different.

16. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    What the heck was I doing in 2007 that caused me to miss that show? Seems right up my alley. The wikipedia description makes it sound like Quantum Leap a bit, which I liked a lot.

17. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Me too. Too bad more people didn't watch.

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I was always happy (and somewhat surprised) to see it come back, and sad when it did not. I still liked the characters, and had hope they would turn it around. It just kept getting worse though.

Switching to an alternate set of characters is a reasonable idea, so long as they don't try to tie it to plot lines from the original series. There's too much baggage there.

Same here, and Kevin McKidd was one of my favorite actors, especially in Rome.

While on the wish list of TV canceled before it's time, I'll add "Now and Again"

19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Journeyman is also available to stream on Hulu.

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That's being kind....