1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hemlock Grove - Netflix Original - Season 1 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zordude, Apr 20, 2013.

1. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    The first two episodes weren't great, but I loved the transformation to the wolf.

This definitely doesn't seem the same quality as House of Cards, but I will watch a few more and see if it improves a bit.

2. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Finished watching the series last night.

It was not wonderful.

There was too much talking about supernatural stuff without having supernatural stuff.

I didn't really care what happened to any of the people in the story.

The most interesting person in the entire show seemed to be the Asian Scientist/Doctor guy who had almost no screen time.

I would rate it a C-

3. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I've seen the first one and I'm planning on giving it another try, but its not on the front-burner right now. Somehow knowing that there are a dozen episodes waiting for me makes it less attractive than if they were being doled out one at a time; probably because I'm instantly behind and so don't have the compulsion to "better watch this week's, so I don't get behind."

4. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I'm with you here. The storyline could have been compressed to move it along faster. The transformation was awesome but we had already seen it before the show aired. After the main transformation I was expecting more and was disappointed when very little happened in terms of special effects for the rest of the series.

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    We watched the first episode of Hemlock Grove the other night. Hemlock Grove was... not good. At all. I mean, that was some of the worst acting I think I've seen in quite a while. Maybe I just don't get out enough. Wooeee! <fans hand in front of face>.

I may try a second episode (can it really be THAT bad?) just to be sure. If I think I can survive it. Maybe a drink or two first.

6. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Even after seeing the cheesy trailer, I was thinking of giving this show a chance, but based on these comments, I think I will pass on this one.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Watch the pilot last night. Not continuing. Thought it was pretty bad. The pilot for me has to be great.

I saw the werewolf transformation on the other thread and it's still not enough for to keep watching.

8. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    EW gave it B+ which surprised me given everything else I've read.

9. May 3, 2013 #9 of 23
    Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I just finished episode 7 and it might have lost me. That was so uncomfortable to watch and awful and a terrible direction to take Roman's character. UGH.

Overall I think it's just too slow. I like the Fish and Wildlife officer. I love Peter and his mom. There is something interesting in each episode but there is too little plot. That would be ok if it was a well acted character study but it's not.

10. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I just finished it. I quite enjoyed it, I think the low expectations helped. I have to admit that I tended to leave it on in the background whilst doing something else which I rarely do.

I'll also admit there was large aspects of it that I didn't understand what was going on but it was enjoyable enough.

There were some extremely unpleasant developments and scenes though.

11. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    No kidding!

I did end up finishing it. I thought it got better towards the end when the pace picked up. I'm still not sure I understand everything that happened. They sure blew up a lot of things at the end with a lot of characters dying.

I would be curious enough to watch a second season to see where they go and if they can improve on some things.

I did figure out who the wolf was a few episodes earlier than it was revealed. Unless they were going to make it a character we hadn't seen before, it was the only person who made sense.

12. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
  13. SWFan

SWFan Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    While I'm not done watching season 1, I am about 3/4 through it. I don't hate the show, but I'm not liking it as much as I hoped.

I agree with some of the comments above that many of the actors are not doing a very good job which does detract from the show. My biggest gripe right now is the mystery is just a bit too mysterious and weird. At times when I finish an episode I just think, what did I just watch?

Some mystery is fine, but others are just pure infuriating, like there are conversations going on that require a definition they don't give. For instance, they have referred to Roman and to some extent his mother as something called "au pure" (sp?), but have given absolutely no information on what that means.

14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Upier

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Did I miss them explaining how the sister (already forgot her name, the tall one with the huge eye and bandaged hands) got to be the way she is?
    E.T.A Shelley would be her name, I think.

I think I gathered that she was born with some deformity, or possibly stillborn.
    Then the uncle(who may have been her actual father?), took her to the white tower where the oriental guy did some mysterious experiments or medical breakthroughs on her?

I may have drifted off trying to watch a couple episodes, and can't remember if I rewatched everything I missed or not.

phox

16. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    They never explicitly said it, but you've got it right based on all the things that could be infered. The doctor is Frankenstein and she's the monster.

17. SWFan

SWFan Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    This is how I interpreted Shelly as well.

18. SWFan

SWFan Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    I finished the season a few weeks ago, and I have to say the last couple of episodes elevated the show for me a bit.

19. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Just finished it.

Hated every episode with the Godfrey clan,. Liked the Asian doctor and the Gypsies. That's it.

It was perfect background noise while multitasking.

20. TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    They're advertising S2, starting later this month. Not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not...