1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Mom's Series 2 DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by poppie, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1 of 14
    poppie

poppie New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Cablevision recently switched from scientific Atlanta set boxes to Samsung model SMT-C5320. For a week now i've beentrying to get her hooked up again but am having a hard time with the ir sensors. I have gotten thru the reset of system and have had the channels actually change during the setup tests but once i go "live", unable to change channels. Wondering where exactly the Ir sensor is on the new box(cablevision wont give me an answer) &if anyone else is having similar problems. Thanks

2. Jul 3, 2012 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would help to shine a bright flashlight at the faceplate and where it seems to shine through, its the sensor.

Sometimes, I even use a laser pointer.

3. Jul 4, 2012 #3 of 14
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I read somewhere that the easy way to find it is cover up the whole front of the cable box with a piece of card board, then remove the card board slowly to the side while pressing the remote for the cable box till the box starts responding.

4. Jul 4, 2012 #4 of 14
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This evening, I did try to find the IR sensor on a converter box. The flashlight was no help, but using the laser pointer did find the sensor. Watching the beam as I moved it across the panel, when it passed over the sensor opening, the beam lit up what was inside (the square sensor element).

5. Jul 4, 2012 #5 of 14
    poppie

poppie New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Thanks everyone! I have located the sensor and did the setup again. Channel changing was fine during the set-up test but after the setup was done i couldnt get it to change channels. Now that the sensor has been found does anyone have any other suggestions?

6. Jul 4, 2012 #6 of 14
    cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Was post recently where cable company switched brand of box but kept old ir code, try scientific codes.

7. Jul 5, 2012 #7 of 14
    poppie

poppie New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Used SA codes and that seemed to work when running tests during the set-up. About ready to tell mom to lose the tivo and use cablevision dvr. I left cablevision for fios when they wanted to charge me to install cablecards for my premiere so have no love for them but have been trying to fix this for almost a week already.

8. Jul 5, 2012 #8 of 14
    cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have you tried 10014-b? If that doesn't work run thru whole library.

9. Jul 5, 2012 #9 of 14
    poppie

poppie New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Where can i get a listing to codes to try manually? I know the one you listed Cannoz is different then the one on there now.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    This may help.

Attached Files:

11. poppie

poppie New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    thank you for all answers but after another 2 hrs today trying to fix it I'm admiting defeat and taking mom's box in and exchanging for a cablevision dvr. Hate that cablevision has won. Wish i could convince her to switch to fios.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    OR you could get a Series 3/HD and use cable cards and/or Antenna. No messing with controlling cable boxes. Also, there is no need to learn another menu system as Tivo is what they're used to. There would be 2 tuners as well, where as S2DT only is 1 tuner with the cable box.

For the subscription, you can simply swap out the service numbers, unless its lifetime.

13. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have you contacted tivo,maybe they have a code or other complaints from your area.