1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with cable vs. direct tv issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mhightower, Apr 30, 2012.

1. mhightower

mhightower New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I am really not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but I wasnt sure of where exactly to put it. We have two tivo premieres. We have cable from our local cable company (small rural company). They promised cable cards, but have yet to deliver after about 9 months of waiting. We have been using the tivo without the cable card, which is fine except we cannot get any of the HD channels, like the sports channels my husband wants to watch. My question is what direction I need to go from here? Do I need to dump my cable company and get satellite (we had dish before but would probably go with Direct TV next)? Can I use the tivo's I already have with Direct TV if I swap? If not, do I need the direct tv-tivo or their regular dvr? I am really confused at this point!! Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I recall having heard that Tivo Premiere models are NOT compatible with satellite. This was last month when I replaced my two old Series 2 boxes with Premieres.

I'm not a fan of satellite anyway but, in your case, that really sucks because if you are paying for premium channels and cannot get them because your cable company doesn't offer CableCARDs you are at a profound disadvantage. :(

3. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I thought they were required to offer them.....

4. mhightower

mhightower New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I thought so too at first, but after they stonewalled on us for a month or two, I started to dig deeper. It seems that companies that are very small do not fall under the directive to furnish cable cards. The odd thing is that a couple of months before we got our tivo, the cable company ran a huge ad campaign touting dvr's of their own, which we got on the wait list for. When those didn't materialize, I went with the tivo, thinking I could just get the cable card from them. They put us off saying they weren't in yet, finally sent me one to install on my own, but when I tried the setup for it kept saying there was no card in the slot. I took it back with the promise of them sending a tech out to install it, who never materialized. Every time I asked about it they just said "we don't have them yet." And like previously stated, we have been paying for HD premium channels that we cannot access.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere can only use cable or antenna, not satellite or DirecTV.

6. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    Have you tried calling Tivo? They can confirm if your suspicions are correct about your cable company being exempt from cablecards.

7. May 1, 2012 #7 of 13
    Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Directv does offer a TiVo model, it's just not that good.

Joe

8. May 1, 2012 #8 of 13
    DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Can't you do the same thing that Canadian users of the Premiere do and purchase a Motorola "M" C.C. off the internet and self-install it. Then call your cable company and tell them you have a Motorola cable box that you want activated? Don't say a word about Tivo - just a Motorola cable box. See Canadian threads for the details.

9. May 1, 2012 #9 of 13
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Or tell when you have a Home PC that requires it

10. mhightower

mhightower New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I have never heard of this option! Will using it mean that all my HD channels I am supposed to be getting but not will be available after all?? This is great news-must investigate!! Thanks!

11. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    what is the name of the cable company

12. mhightower

mhightower New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    The name of my cable company? West Alabama TV Cable.
    DonaldBurns65144 can you please provide a link to the thread with reference about what I would need to do? I did not see anything specific when I searched, but I probably went right over what I needed :rolleyes:

13. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Depending on how many customers your cable company services, they may not be required to comply with FCC regulations.

This is the way a "small cable company" is defined per CFR ยง 76.901: