1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with best setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jntc, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jntc

jntc New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I have just joined the Tivo world the other day! I'm quite pleased thus far.

However, now that I'm 'expanding' (and eliminating cable boxes) I have a question in regards to the best approach.

Right now I have the following:

1 Roamio Plus
    3 Mini's

(4 tv's to be hooked up)

I'm worried about tuner capacity if all televisions are being 'watched' live.

Should I invest in another Roamio (basic?) to replace one of the mini's? And, if so, does it have the capability of 'sharing' recordings with the Plus?

What are your suggestions?
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Don't watch live TV. :)

Roamios can all stream to each other.
  3. jntc

jntc New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    So, if I -want- to watch live TV, is this the best solution, or should I add another Roamio (basic) to the mix to avoid tuner/recording overload? (I expect that during prime-time, I may have three shows recording, and watching three 'live' channels as well from each mini/roamio.

If I add another roamio, can I watch shows recorded on either one from a mini(s)?

[ I was thinking of getting the base roamio ($149 price match, and $50 gift card from BBUY) so effectively, I get the base roamio for what a mini costs. ]
  4. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 New Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    My $0.02 Live with your new setup a while before deciding.
    Most tivo users find that they watch less and less live tv the longer they own it.

Keep in mind that multiple minis can view the same recording at the same time. If two (or more) minis are wanting to watch the same show, record it, then stream from my shows instead of "live tv".
  5. jntc

jntc New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ben, my thoughts exactly. Thanks for reinforcing.
  6. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    x2....TiVo addict since Dec 2000 and now can't remember the last time I/we have watched a live show, at home.
  7. pwlcheng

pwlcheng New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm too busy watching my favorite shows that was recorded by TiVo, no more time and patience to wait for the live show to begin and sit through the commercials.