1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up tivo premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by xyz, Jan 25, 2013.

1. xyz

xyz New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    PA
    HI everyone,
    I just got a tivo premiere. I don't really know too much about all this stuff, so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not so please bear with me. I have a cable box, the tivo and the cable internet. If I take the cable from the wall and it goes into the in side of the splitter, one cable goes from out side of splitter to cable box and the instructions (I think) are saying to put the other side into the tivo so where does the cable from the modem go? Thanks in advance.

2. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Do you still want a cable box when you have a Tivo? If so then you need a 3 way splitter and run one wire to each device. Otherwise, get rid of the cable box and just have the Tivo and the modem.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    The cable for the internet needs to go into your router, then to the Premiere. Or you can connect with wireless.
    Contact Tivo. you can chat with them or talk to them on the phone.
    http://support.tivo.com/

We don't really have enough info to help you.

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Ask your cable company if they have a CableCard that replaces the cable box. Usually that is the case. The card would install in the Tivo itself.

5. xyz

xyz New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    PA
    Thank you everyone. I'm going to get a three way splitter. I really feel stupid now, that was so obvious!

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    The only stupid question is the one not asked...

7. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't even know you could use a cable box with the Premiere.

When I replaced my Series 2 Tivos with Premieres I had to replace those two cable boxes with CableCARDs. Except for no longer having On Demand, it's much nicer, IMO.

8. xyz

xyz New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    PA
    Well I'm about to ask another dumb question. The reason I didn't want to get rid of the cable box was because of On Demand. I just hooked everything up and went through guided setup and then went to live to and theres nothing there. When I went to check signal strength it said strength unavailable because there are no digital channels, so do I have to have a cable card? I don't even think I understand what a cable card is for.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    A CableCARD translates where the channels are for the Tivo, if you're on cable, you will need a CableCARD, otherwise even if you can find channels, you won't have guide data.

Also be sure you have the cable on the Cable input not Antenna if you have a 2 tuner Premiere.