1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help request -- Cap resoldering, not on a Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by tiassa, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    There are people on this board who are competent/experienced at resoldering busted capacitors. I am not. I have a Samsung LCD flat panel monitor that I'm pretty sure has a busted cap (If I fuss with it long enough I can get it to work until the next time I shut it off). I am wondering if there is anyone on this board in the Metro Boston area who would be willing to take a look at my monitor and replace the busted caps. I have replaced the Samsung monitor, so it isn't critical, and I"m not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it once I get it fixed. I'm considering giving it to my favorite charity, (when I was last in their office they were using a flat panel, but it was a lot smaller than this one) but I haven't contacted them to see if they can use it. I can come up with a few bucks (maybe like 75) for your time (and the caps), or we could work a deal where you give some money to my charity and keep the monitor for yourself.

So to summarize, If you:
    Are in Metro Boston
    Can resolder Caps
    are willing to help me out

Send me a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Check with lcdalternatives.com and see if they have a cap kit already assembled for that particular model.

Then just find someone in the area who knows how to solder.

For $75 you could afford to ship it to me and back.

For $75 you could probably find another one just like it on Craigslist.