1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please: TiVo series 2 freezes during playback and ffowarding

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Badblock, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Badblock

Badblock New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    This has probably been answered a thousand times, I have a series 2 TiVo that just freezes when playing recordings. is it a hard drive problem or what? It's only 2 years old.. Can I get a discount on a new one or should I just tell TiVo to go _uck a rope and go with a DVR from Comcast? I have 2 TiVo's going and I'm paying a monthly fee for both.. If a TiVo only lasts a couple of years I don't want it!

Any comments are mucho appreciated!

Thank You.

Badblock :)

2. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Sounds like a hard drive problem. Before you get a Comcast POS DVR and live to regret it (and you will), you have a couple of options.

First try employing TiVo's built-in diagnostic program by using "Kickstart 57".

Kickstart 57:

1. Unplug TiVo and wait 15 seconds.
    2. Plug TiVo in, get the TiVo remote and aim it at TiVo.
    3. Press and hold the pause button until the orange light comes back on by itself.
    4. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
    5. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool which can take from 10 minutes to 3 hours to complete. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
    6. TiVo will automatically reboot again and hopefully things will return to normal. (Programs that used any bad sectors may be lost.)

If that doesnÂ’t work you may want to contact TiVo and see what they suggest. Usually they will offer an exchange for a refurb unit which may be free or cost you $50...depending on how nice you are to the CSR and how many refurbs they have at the time.

Or you could look into replacing your hard drive with a larger one (very easy to do). OR you could upgrade to a TiVo HD.

Two years for a HDD running 24/7 isn't terrible, but most usually last a few years longer.

BTW, if you do opt for the cableco POS DVR, make sure your local Comcast office has comfy chairs...you'll be spending a lot of time there. ;)

3. Badblock

Badblock New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I appreciate the quick reply and will try all you have advised!

Thanks Again :)

Badblock