1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please - HD Tivo Just Got Slow as Molasses

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CA2DC, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1 of 23
    CA2DC

CA2DC New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Yesterday morning while my kids were eating cereal and watching Dora on Tivo, my HD Tivo went through an unexpected reboot. Not sure why.

Afterwards everything slowed way, way down. I hit the Tivo button, and it takes 30 seconds or more for it to register and pull up the menu screen. Every button I push on the Tivo remote takes up to a coupld minutes to get a response out of Tivo.

Pulling up the Guide takes close to 10 minutes as each line of infomation slowly appears one by one in 10-20 second intervals. If I take the 5 min's it takes to navigate to a recorded show, then there's no problem watching it. It's only when I'm asking Tivo to process a request that it's as slow as molasses. It's almost as though it's processor has slowed way down.

I've had the box for 3+ years and never had a problem. I forced a reboot and afterwards it starts out working OK for a few minutes, but then it begins to slow down again. It's virtually unusable at this point.

I was thinking that maybe it was a software update that backfired, but since I don't see anyone else complaining about this same issue I'm assuming it's not a software update prob.

Any suggestions for what might be causing this problem and how to fix it would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Jun 1, 2012 #2 of 23
    True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Have you tried switching between the HD and SD menus?

Also, how full is your Tivo?

TC

3. Jun 1, 2012 #3 of 23
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    If its the Tivo HD Series 3 then it only has the SD menu.

Do you have an external drive attached to it, or just using the internal drive only? You might try running the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive and see how it comes out. Just reboot the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light come on hit "pause 54" on the remote and it will take you to the test screen. Then run the full test and see if it passes.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #4 of 23
    chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    FWIW, my older dTiVo (non-HD) sometimes slows down due to the remote control going bonkers. It seems that the remote begins sending a continuous stream of commands, and that the receiver can't catch-up.

I just bury the IR emitter port under a blanket or my shirt and then hit the "remote off". Then, with the IR port still covered hit the power-on button. This OFF-ON cycle always cures my problem of a runaway remote unit.

5. Jun 2, 2012 #5 of 23
    ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    There could also be another remote with a button pressed down creating IR interference. Look under sofa cushions, magazines, etc.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #6 of 23
    CA2DC

CA2DC New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I do have an external hard drive attached and it's never been a problem. Wish I'd known about that SMART test.

The drive is always full b/c it never seems to delete anything permanently unless it's out of space. I can go into my recently deleted folder and find well over 100 deleted programs.

Wife and in-laws were in crisis mode without a TV (one TV house w/ Series 3), so I called the Tivo support desk. Asked about software updates, they said nope and it was probably time to buy a new box.

Picked up a Premiere XL, got it home, set it up and guess what? This box is as slow as molasses also.

Another call to the Tivo support desk, and this time they tell me there’s a HUGE software update coming out – new Netflix and YouTube interface, etc. Boxes all over the US are having issues, the Help Desk is swamped, and they told me to connect to Tivo through the network 3 times (yes, 3 times per the tech support guidance) to get the entire update. Don’t ask me why one network connection update wouldn’t be good enough.

Tivo tech support guy said the huge software update may have caused the issues with my Series 3, though it shouldn’t have been sent to me.

I’m a bit annoyed at this point and still working to get the Premiere update fully loaded and working.

Another question though, is there any easy way to move my Season Pass list to the new Premier?

7. Jun 3, 2012 #7 of 23
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I seem to be experiencing the same slow down using a more replacement glo remote for the S3, but the back light was on and I found that the backlight would turn off far to soon, but if I pressed the button a 2nd time, the command would be taken as the light indicated it received the 1st attempt.

One other thing would be to clear your Thumb UP/Down list as that indeed will slow down the unit. I had a pretty big lag on another S3 and I think I rated far too many shows. Anyway, once I cleared and deleted the Thumbs up/down, man it was a sports car snappy fast machine again. It has been confirmed that a long list of Thumbs up/down does push the database to the limit and will slow down the box.

Good luck.

8. Jun 3, 2012 #8 of 23
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You do know that programs can be permanently deleted from the "Recently Deleted" folder, don't you?

9. Jun 4, 2012 #9 of 23
    CA2DC

CA2DC New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Yes, though the only way I know to permanately delete them is to select them and delete them one by one which takes a bit of time. I did try selecting the "Recently Deleted" folder itself and hitting "Clear" to delete them all at once, but that didn't seem to work. That was months ago though, so maybe they've created a more efficient "permanently delete" process since then.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    My Tivo HD became real slow once and I just simply rebooted it and it cleared up but it sounds like yours did a reboot already.

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    delete all that stuff out of the Recently Deleted Folder and see if that helps a little, does for my THD.

12. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes, Log-in to TiVo.com then use the Season Pass® manager

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While the "Clear" button can't be used to delete the entire "Recently Deleted" folder, it can used within the folder. Unfortunately, you also have to confirm the delete. What I do is hold the remote in both hands with my left thumb on "Clear" and my right thimb on "Select". I then do a series of "Clear-Select". Occasionally I get ahead of myself and have to re-enter one or the other and its boring but it's the quickest way I know of to perform this task.

14. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I don't think deleting the programs in the recently deleted folder will make any difference. If it is caused by a failing hard drive the problem most likely will come back as a fatal error. Running Kickstart 54 is your best bet.

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Usually, a failing hard drive will cause bad video and/or spontaneous reboots, not slow response.

16. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Depends on where the bad spots are and if the data can be read correctly after multiple re-reads. This is where the SMART information can be useful.

17. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    From my experiences with my TiVo HD you would be wrong. A lot of programs in the recently deleted folder definently effects performence.

18. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I don't know about the deleted folder, I have suggestions turned on. I do know from experience that a failing hard drive can really slow down a TiVo.
    Another suggestion check the remote. I just replaced the batteries in the remote connected to my TiVo HD it was responding extremely slow to commands.

19. Misterbee6

Misterbee6 New Member

May 31, 2011
    My TiVo Premiere just slowed way down. Takes ages to respond to the remote. Any help?

20. Andy D

Andy D New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I just noticed my Premiere with a very slow response to my remote.

I thought it might be a too full disk so I deleted about 10 or 15 hours. No joy.

Any clue as to where to proceed much appreciated.

Andy