1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help planning new setup involving mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by duncan7, Dec 20, 2016.

1. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Hi, Mini Sub-forum-
    I'm about to embark upon some home renovations and will be converting an old bedroom into an office/lounge. I'd like to put a TV in there. I have a Roamio Pro and a Premiere elsewhere in the house. This room is not yet wired for coax or ethernet, though I have Cat-6 running to both the TiVos elsewhere and both will be moving as part of the remodel, so both flavors of copper will be re-strung. I'm on Charter, if that matters, and we've had enough channel troubles to make me think we're better off not splitting the coax more than it already is.

Q1) I'm thinking of getting a nice 32" IPS monitor with Thunderbolt and HDMI inputs to drive with my Retina MBP and connecting it to a TiVo Mini and a soundbar for watching TV. Any reason this wouldn't be workable, provided I can get the audio cabled? (I'm assuming monitors may not have audio return via HDMI and I'd have to rig something with the composite outputs.)

Q2) As I mentioned above, we'll be moving the main AV-closet, which also houses my cable modem, router, and an 8-port switch. While I'm doing all this, I'd consider jumping up to a switch with more ports and POE so I can run a couple of wired APs to the front of the house and the second story. I see the current thread on switches and remember worrying about "green" ports the last time I upgraded networking gear- does anyone have a model to definitely avoid?

Thanks in advance!