1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - do I have the wrong part?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mtoy, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mtoy

mtoy New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I'm replacing my TIVOHD original hard drive with a WD10EURS 1TB. I'm using a Windows laptop and WinMFS. To connect the drives to the laptop I bought a Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter. I can't figure out how to attach it to the hard drive, the parts just don't fit. Did I buy the wrong thing? What about the smaller pieces in the box, do use those? You can tell I've never done this before.

I looked through the adapter thread but I can't figure it out, those seems to be for desktops. I was hoping to get this done today...what do I need?

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Sounds like you bought an adapter for a 2.5" laptop drive and not a 3.5" desktop drive. The IDE/SATA connectors on the two types of drives are different and will only work with the specific type of drive it's designed for. The USB connections are universal. I'm guessing that you thought you needed a laptop adapter since you planned on using your laptop for the process. As for what's in the box, I have no idea what those might be since I don't own the particular adapter you mentioned and I can't see the box from my location.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What exact model adapter did you buy? It sounds like you may have gotten one for a laptop drive, which is wrong.

4. mtoy

mtoy New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Whew, it's the right thing. I dug around on YouTube and found something that showed how to use one. Thanks for being there to help though!

5. banjomaniac

banjomaniac New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Don't forget to run as administrator in winmfs or it won't show up.

Banjomaniac

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I have two of those adapters, each one a different brand. They both came with all of the connections for large IDE (3.5 inch drives), small IDE (2.5 inch drives?), and standard size SATA. Not sure if newer laptops use the micro SATA but these cables don't have that.