1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a Premiere XL4 owner pick service: Comcast vs. Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ehsfriend, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1 of 34
    ehsfriend

ehsfriend New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Have recently moved to the east coast from California. In Cali, I ran 2 TIVO Premiere XL4s each with a single comcast M-card and of course with integrated Xfinity On Demand.

I usually despise Comcast and have had a lot of billing issues with them re: Cablecards over the years, but the service was very good overall. No pairing issues like so many others.

So here's my question for the community - is it worth switching to Fios - which has much better customer service and better internet speeds - in my new home (it is already wired for Fios) and giving up integrated On Demand OR should I stick with Comcast - which is known to have its issues.

I know it's a subjective question and depends on my use of On Demand - but I figure with Apple TV I have HBO on-demand covered so I will only be missing On Demand Kids shows and Howard Stern. I dont want to have to get a second Fios HD box at each TV

2. Jul 2, 2013 #2 of 34
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    No experience with comcast; Time Warner is MY only option in Torrance.
    I would switch to FIOS in an instant, if it was available in my 'hood.

3. Jul 2, 2013 #3 of 34
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I'd go for the FIOS. Even my wife, who is not that picky about picture quality, noticed the FIOS picture was better. The internet is extremely fast and, for me, it has been very solid.

If you really need the cable company on demand you could rent one of their basic set top boxes, install a cable splitter and run the set top box output to another input on your TV. Best of both worlds.

Bob

4. Jul 2, 2013 #4 of 34
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FiOS all the way, not even a question for me, I was thrilled the day I got to tell Comcast "here's your hardware, I'm history" I'm not a user of OnDemand, so I never missed it.

I've loved every minute of being on Verizon FiOS, from the speed, to the channels, to the customer support, it was even part of my house hunting criteria, extra points for FiOS in the neighborhood.

5. Jul 2, 2013 #5 of 34
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    FIOS. All the way

I have had it since before day 1 (I was a tester) and have only had 1 outage in 7 years! (That was last week, my ONT terminal went bad). They fixed it in 1 day, coming out at 9pm upon my request.

I have always had interesting network needs and their techs on the phone always walked me through setting up the special stuff, like port forwarding, bridged wireless access points, etc.

FIOS also never compresses a signal. Whatever comes in from the source, goes out on the wire.

6. Jul 2, 2013 #6 of 34
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Just put in some season passes for the shows the kids would watch on-demand. I don't miss it one bit.

7. Jul 2, 2013 #7 of 34
    ehsfriend

ehsfriend New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    This is super helpful, guys. Thanks

What put me over the hump on picking Fios are these comments and the fact that Comcast claims they lost my Cablecards that I returned to their Sunnyvale office last week. I have a receipt and the business card of the store clerk at Comcast but my account still shows the equipment outstanding + they claim I have a cable modem of theirs (have used my own every minute of the past 7 yrs).

See ya Comcast.

8. Jul 2, 2013 #8 of 34
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    I'm going to speak up for Comcast.
    As much as I HATE both VZ & Commiecast, the latter has never let me down.

No outage.
    No billing issues.
    & the signal comes over pleasantly to my eyes.
    & they're $40 cheaper per month with no issues.

9. Jul 2, 2013 #9 of 34
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I will speak against Fios here and you may want to go to dslreports and check out some users there... Service is great for Fios but there billing support SUCKS and so does there customer service...

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Why is this a question? FIOS is WAY better than Comcast. Non re-compressed HD's says it all. Oh yeah, and faster internet. I'd love to have FIOS, although it's not enough to make me move another 15 minutes away to RI where they have it lol. Comcast is good for cable, but it's NOTHING compared to FIOS. You could always get one box for VOD on the main TV...

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    IN my area, the picture quality on FiOS is much better than Comcast. My parents place and my brothers place both have Comcast and every time I visit, most of the HD channels look noticeably worse.

The one bad thing about FiOS can be billing. They are many times more likely to have billing problems than Comcast. At least that has been my experience.

12. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Comcast does not compress picture in all markets and competes very well against them in most markets

13. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    I would drop cable in a heartbeat if I had FIOS available.

14. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I said the same thing.. 6 months later they still could not get me the right pricing package I had..

15. poofy

poofy New Member

Jan 16, 2012

FIOS is same as cable. Some saying the pic is better is their opinion.

I had FIOS for 1 1/2 yrs and now I have Time Warner which I really like especially for their "tv app everywhere" that I get my full tv line up on all my tablets and on Roku.

16. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    When I switched from Comcast to FiOS I immediately noticed the better picture quality.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    So having everything but your locals locked down to "do not copy" vs "everything is unlocked but HBO" and you chose locked down? Or does your local TWC not use that heavy handed tactic?

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I know it depends on the area, but in mine there is an obvious difference. Anytime there is a fast pan, fast movement, or bright flash, the Comcast picture will break up like crazy. Of course you still have some issues with the FiOS picture, but nothing like what happens on Comcast around here. When the video is over compressed you get more blocking artifacts. And when my 75+ year old mom can even notice the difference, it is very obvious.

19. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Ok. I have Comcast and have the video on demand service on my two TiVo's. If you can get a better price for television and internet with FiOS and you don't care about the video on demand service from FiOS, then go for it since your place is already wired up. Just remember that you won't be able to use any of the interactive channels, and you'll have to call in to order any pay per view programming instead of from the box. I'm running a full MoCA network in the same manner a Verizon FiOS household is set up, including their Revision I Actiontec FiOS MoCA enabled router, and my Premiere 4 with it's built in MoCA works fine with it, as well as my Premiere with it's MoCA adapter. As you know Verizon uses MoCA for their set top boxes to communicate and download the electronic guide (just like the Premiere 4 does).

20. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Same here, either a Comcast or FiOS connection is a requirement for me, no exceptions. Sadly it's hard to do this from another state.