1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell's Kitchen Season 11 aftermath

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I'm a little surprised not to find any thread for HK Season 11, which ended about a month ago.

Anyway, this year's prize was to be "head chef" (what that means can be up to some broad interpretation, although there is a guaranteed $250,000 "salary" for one year) at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. However, it was just announced that, "due to personal matters," the winner, Ja'Nel Witt, will not be cooking there. (TMZ has a report on just what those "personal matters" were.)

Note that she will still get the $250,000 prize, and the runner-up will not be receiving the job at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill in Ja'Nel's place.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Doin' drugs is bad, mmmm'kay.

3. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    good for her, she keeps the $$ and doesn't have to fake being the head chef.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks for the update! Seems she doesn't care, since she still gets the $. I have to figure that she knew, going in, that there would be a drug test. Maybe she'll be able to get a job at a coffee shop and the $250G will last longer for her coke supply.

It's kind of a stupid rule that a failed drug test keeps you from the job (or fake job - whatever) but you still get the money. It was a win-win for her.

5. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    so was she on coke during hells kitchen or just celebrated after she won?

6. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Hellava afterparty..

7. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Don't know - the drug test was administered by Caesar's Palace (all employees have to take one), and presumably the test was done right after the last episode aired, which was months after it was recorded.

As to why she gets the $250,000 anyway, my guess is that the contracts she signed probably didn't say anything about the prize being dependent upon passing a drug test administered by the restaurant (as opposed to by the producers) as a condition of employment.
    A similar thing happened a few years ago, when a winner couldn't take the job because it was in England and the UK had just changed its work visa laws to make it pretty much impossible for a non-celebrity from outside of Europe to get a job there if there was somebody in Europe they could hire instead.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Generally I think anything drug related isn't funny(*), but I did laugh at this from skimming the tmz article:

Fun Fact -- $250,000 can buy roughly 10 kilos of cocaine ... depending on the quality.

(*) "That 70s Show" is another show that had tons of drug humor, and I still liked it a lot.

9. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    So silly. Everyone working in a kitchen does coke.

10. SueAnn

SueAnn Minion

Oct 23, 2004
    St Charles,...
    If they tested before picking contestants they wouldn't have this problem.

however, most reality shows would have fewer applicants if they new they were doing mandatory drug testing.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek:

That is Hilarious. They should put a clause in that they can't receive the winnings either if they can't pass a simple drug test.

12. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and the award for the most ridiculous post of the day goes to...

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    or something. i know someone that works in a rehab center. they told me that a majority of patients there , that have/had jobs, are in the food service industry. my guess is there isnt much drug testing nor background checking at restaurants

now lets go discuss this over a coke

14. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    says someone who never worked in a kitchen ;)

15. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Wrong. I have - AND I worked security for a five-star restaurant in London some years ago.

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Anthony Bourdain talks/writes a lot about all the drugs he took while a cook. I think I would need coke or meth to keep going while working feverishly for 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, in a 125 degree kitchen.

There was a story in the NY Times yesterday about the toll working as a cook takes on your body. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/b...tchen-takes-its-toll.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"Those 41 years in the kitchen have brought him considerable fame: Campanile won the James Beard award as outstanding restaurant in the United States in 2001. They have also brought him carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and thoracic outlet syndrome in his shoulders, resulting from repetitive stirring, fine knife movements and heavy lifting. He has a bone spur on one foot and a cyst between toes of the other from constantly standing. He has had three hernia operations and lives with a chronically sore back."

17. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I have a feeling they do take a drug test prior to the start of the series. However, it has been a few months since it ended. Imagine if an Olympic gold medalist had to give back the medal because he failed a drug test eight years after the fact. (Well, technically, that did happen - they keep samples of all medalists for eight years in case tests improve, and the sample given by the men's shot put winner back in 2004 tested positive in 2012.)

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't do drugs and the problem is solved.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't do drugs and the problem is solved.

20. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Your test appt awaits.. :D