1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell on Wheels 9/23/12 "The White Spirit"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The opening credits are just starting to roll, and already I say "Well. Didn't see THAT coming."

I guess last week, the Swede was up to more than just being a trickster. More Coyote than Loki, perhaps? :D

2. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Lily really needs to take some leadership classes or something. She cannot seem to do anything right as leader of the railroad. Although I guess sleeping with whoever is the current alpha male isn't such a bad strategy for her.

The Swede does seem to have a plan of some sort. But I cannot tell what it is, unless it is just to get as many people with the railroad killed as possible, or maybe just stopping the railroad (or both).

3. caslu

caslu Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I liked Lily in season 1, not so much in season 2.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think I see what's happening, but they're not explaining it very clearly. Realistically, in that day nobody was going to take orders from a woman, or trust her to get things done. The only reason anybody was listening to her before was because the wrath of Durant would descend upon them like a ton of bricks mixed with s#!% if they didn't. Now, they don't have that fear. She is now learning that she has absolutely no authority whatsoever in her own right. (I think it's not coincidental that Elam has been learning the same lesson this season.)

I'm not sure where they're going with this...if things continue to fall apart until Durant returns, or if Bohannon takes his place as Ton Of Bricks.

The Swede continues to confound me. I have absolutely no idea whether his association with the Indians is sincere. None whatsoever.

5. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Sure, but it does not help that she is so clueless. If she were smart, she would have taken those prejudices into account and still gotten things to go the way she wanted. But even after all the time she has spent around men like Durant and Bohannon, she is still quite naive about the ways of power and the motivations and fears of the men.

6. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    The Swede is one creepy dude.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And I think that's one of the themes of this season...last season, a black man and a woman got second-hand power; this season, they realized just how second-hand it was. They were both naive to think that any of the power they wielded was actually theirs, but they did believe it. I'll be curious to see how they deal with it over the last three episodes ("they" being both the characters and the writers).
    I was amused that Bohannon took one look at his shaved head and figured out that he was in with the Indians. Either Bohannon has spent more time out West than I realized, or he has Magical Powers of Knowledge. :D

8. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I think it was the rifle comment that did it. The shaved head was just supporting evidence. Also, they did not mention it, but the Swede disappearing at the same time that the Reverend went on his rampage (with Indian support) is also highly suggestive of the Swede's duplicity.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    In that day and time those men weren't going to pay any attention to Lily's authority unless she had a 500lb gorilla (Durant or Bohannon) to back her up. Women were second class citizens back then and the only women the Hell On Wheels workers were familiar with were third class citizens - whores.

It's kind of funny how Mr. Toole is a tough guy in one scene and has his tail between his legs the next.

10. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Typical "bully/tough man" who appears to be tough until someone stands up to them and knocks them down. Then you get the tail between the legs.

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I just got a really weird vibe from this entire episode, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't an uncomfortable vibe....just...strange. Mr. Swede had a lot to do with it. Plus the whiskey ripoff seemed odd. I understand what was happening, but the scene at the train was just off I thought. And it seemed to me that the workers reversed themselves awfully quick after protesting about whether they would even get paid with Chief O'Brien on his deathbed...just didn't seem realistic.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What's Lily's stake in the railroad? Maybe it was made clear earlier but I forgot. I know she had her husband's maps but is she getting paid or own stock? Why's she's still sticking around other than to have sex with two polar opposite types of men?

13. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    You're right. This scene actually made me laugh.

Men: Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Lily: But...but...fiddle dee dee....what will I do?

Men: GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE!

Bohannon: Y'all get on back to work now.

Men: Okey dokey! Here we go. Yeehaw! :D

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, it makes sense. Standing up to the lil' lady is one thing. But Bohannon? That would take actual guts!

15. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    She's trying to hook up with Elam to piss her parents off?

16. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Actually Mr. Poole also "encouraged" them to get back to work...

17. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Has there been any reference to Lily's parents? If so, I don't recall...

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It wasn't her parents, it was her in-laws (whom we met at Hubby's funeral).

19. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Remember when Toole was shot "dead" by Elam, with the smoke coming out of his mouth, and miraculously survived? When he got back to camp he swore/begged to "Mr. Ferguson" that he was changed man. Then he changed back to a bigot when it suited.

We see from the previews that Durant's wife is coming back with him to cause a s*storm.