1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads Up: Free HBO, Cinemax and Starz- DirecTV 6/14-17

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Jun 11, 2013.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Title says it all.

Free weekend this coming Friday thru Monday. I can only speak for D*, but others may be doing it, too. The new season of True Blood starts Sunday (NTII).

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I'll see if it's the usual serving of crapolla movies or if there are a couple of decent offerings to record.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Looked through a few of the channels, found a couple of movies I had recorded on my old DVR that was replaced and I never watched, so I'm recording them again (and I'll probably never watch them). Other than that....not much. Cinemax is fun late at night if I can't sleep. Starz? Usually if there's a Disney movie we haven't seen, I'll record it for my daughter, otherwise, not much. The "problem" is, that all of these pay channels have become more about series than about movies, and for a preview weekend, if I have no intention of subscribing, I'm not going to watch an episode of a series. So it's about movies, and there are less and less "new" movies to watch on them.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Ditto. I always wonder why folks like to offer up that these free weekends are great to catch up on some series offered on the channel. Why would I do that if I have no plans to subscribe long term? Weird.

5. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    The hope is that you'll watch the single episode, get hooked and rush to the phone to get a subscription!

For me, all it does is remind me that I like to save the $16 (or whatever) every month and not watch it in the first place!

Must admit, though, I generally manage to find one or two older movies that I somehow missed and wouldn't want to spend the $1.50 to rent from Redbox, but that's about all it's worth to me.

6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Along those lines, it is a shame they don't open their On Demand stuff during a free weekend. I hear so much talk of Game of Thrones and I'd love to see the first few episodes. No access to it though. If I got hooked with a few episodes I'd subscribe to HBO to finish it via their On Demand offerings.

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's possible that one of the HBOs runs a marathon of S3, but that's probably not very helpful. The first 2 seasons are on DVD, and probably rentable somewhere.

I searched through Cinemax and Starz yesterday (I sub to HBO) and I found a few...I'll watch when it's on cable...movies to record. But nothing that I have been looking forward to.

8. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Also the new Season of True Blood starts Sunday nite.

9. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    For the curious, please don't watch the season 3 finale of Game of Thrones to see if you'd like it. :)

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I found "The Dark Knight Rises" on HBO, I think it was Sat night. I believe this is its premiere on any TV network.

11. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Wow. It's not often we get a smeek of the OP!!!

12. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I thought it was worth repeating......;-)

13. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    These channels are all greyed out on my dvr, even after adding them. Anyone else?

14. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    May not show up properly until midnight and even then, I'm not sure if it's localized to your time zone.

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  16. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    I have finally found something record on a freeview!

Eating Raoul on TMC 554 at 2AM Friday morning.

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
  18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Next weekend is a Showtime free-view on DirecTV

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Not localized; DirecTV free previews almost always run 6AM to 6AM (Eastern)/3AM to 3AM (Pacific) rather than midnight to midnight, so this one should actually be running until 6AM Eastern on Tuesday the 18th.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Fios opened up On Demand. I just checked.