1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdvr2 Making Random Tel Calls

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by daniboy1946, Feb 19, 2013.

1. daniboy1946

daniboy1946 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    My HDVR2 is working fine but I have noticed that (usually in the afternoon) it makes a couple of brief telephone calls - I spot that my telephone is in use and the amber LED on front of the unit is on. I always check on the System Information screen when the daily call was scheduled to be made, that it succeeded, and when the next one is scheduled. These brief calls are always unrelated to the scheduled times and never register on the System Information screen in any way. What's going on?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It may be calling to DirecTV to check on purchases. This doesn't show up in any info screen. I would not expect it to make more than one a day. Does your phone bill show the number called?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Sounds like normal housekeeping calls. If it bothers you, simply disconnect the phone cable.

4. daniboy1946

daniboy1946 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks. No, it doesn't bother me. It's just that I thought there was only meant to be one phone call per day (unless call was unsuccessful - System Info screen shows my daily calls are all successful). Phone bill does not show calls detail, but how can they be to other than the local number I have the unit set up to use for the "daily" call?
    Sounds like you guys think several calls a day are in fact normal.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Sometimes the number being called might be busy when the Tivo tries calling, so it tries again.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    As I said, there are two different calls a DTiVo makes. The one you see in the System Information menu is the call to TiVo - which is not needed at all nowadays, except the TiVo software will complain if the call is not made in about 30 days. The other is to an 800 number at DirecTV - you have no control over and no visibility into this. The DirecTV call is used for uploading movie purchases from the access card. It too is not required if you do all your purchases from the web rather than using the remote.

7. daniboy1946

daniboy1946 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks Steve. I think what you have said explains what I am experiencing.