1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDVR2 Component Swap Advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by missingwings, Nov 13, 2012.

1. missingwings

missingwings New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I have an old standard-definition Hughes DirecTV Tivo unit (HDVR2), with a long-expired contract. It is pixellating on virtually every channel (very minor on some and severe enough on others to be unwatchable). I have a second HDVR2 unit that should be in good working order. I already tried, so I know I cannot get the backup unit registered (as these older units do not have some special code that DirecTV requires), so I have to maintain my current registration.

As a shotgun approach (assuming the power supply and fan are okay), would it be an unwise move to replace the hard-drive AND the main board simultaneously? I assume that as long as I re-use the existing Access Card, then exchanging the drive and the main board would maintain the account.

I just need to get by for a couple months until I can afford to upgrade to an HD unit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    You should try moving the access card from the bad to the good and have direct tv resend the authorization signal to your account. Since the hdvr2 is a non RID model directv shouldn't be able to tell that you've substituted one for another.

if you sign in to your directv account from this link you may be able to resend the authorization yourself.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login/login.jsp?_requestid=3406053

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

If both units are more or less identical, swap power supplies first before changing out cards or drives.

And go read up on capacitor plague and the strange symptoms it can cause.