1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDUI Wishlist screens issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by moyekj, Aug 22, 2013.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. I know a lot of people here are clamoring for HDUI screens for everything, but I say leave good enough alone. HDUI Wishlists screens are an example of how perfectly functioning SDUI screens are being replaced by buggy and less featured HDUI screens.

I use wishlists a lot as search bookmarks. So, for example I'll have a title only wishlist called "NFL Football" and use the "upcoming" menu entry to see upcoming games that I may want to record.

The new HDUI Wishlist implementation is just terrible now for that functionality. At least 3 things that are annoying:

1. All wishlists are now set to auto-record automatically by default up front without up front option to not do so. So when I setup a generic wishlist with 100s of matches now the scheduler gets bogged down scheduling all of them only to all be cancelled a few minutes later when I get the chance to go and turn off auto-record option.

2. When using the "All Upcoming" feature when you press select on a specific show to get full details and then left arrow out to get back to the list of upcoming you are thrown to the top of the list every single time. Extremely annoying if you are going through a big list and trying to pick out individual recordings to schedule.
    NOTE: If you go to a specific wishlist and use the "Upcoming" feature then it works as expected. i.e. This issue is broken for the "All Upcoming" feature only.

3. Channel up/down to move between show details in upcoming doesn't work, just as is the case for all the other HDUI screens.

4. HDUI Wishlists virtual keyboard doesn't honor uppercase letters when using virtual remotes using full keyboards (telnet and/or RPC protocols). i.e. To get uppercase 'H' I can't use shift+h with the virtual remote.

5. The Roamio Upcoming list wastes tons of vertical space showing you WLs with no matching shows. That means you have to scroll through lots of useless non-matching WLs to get to see the ones that have matches.

i.e. Functionality that worked fine for years has now been crippled. So for anyone asking for everything to be ported over to HDUI, be careful what you wish for. I personally would like to have the old SDUI implementation back for a lot of things, especially Wishlists.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    1) I don't think many people use Wish Lists like that. I think most people use them to auto-record things not currently in the guide. So I doubt this will be a big issue for most people.

2) That sounds annoying. Hopefully it's something they'll fix in a future update.

3) This is true of all the HDUI screens. My Wife is always complaining about not being able to do this in the My Shows list like she could on her S3. Maybe they'll fix this someday, or maybe we'll forget it was ever an option. :)

All in all though I don't think these are quite as dire as you're making them out to be. They seem like minor annoyances not major flaws that justify bringing back the SDUI.

But I know everyone has their own way of doing things, and change can be hard, so I can understand why you would be annoyed.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    moyekj - can you test to see if the HD Wishlist screen at least reverts to the TiVo HD behavior for 'Upcoming', rather than the Premiere behavior?

On my old TiVo HD, when I did a view upcoming, it'd collapse the list so each hit was displayed only one (even if there were lots of showings). If you wanted to see other show times you'd have to dig another level deeper into the menus.

On my Premiere Elite, when I do the same, I get lots and lots of repeats in the results. The same show/movie may appear 8 or more times. That really messes up looking through my wishlist for show movies from 2012.

But switching to automatically autorecording would also annoy me. Only maybe a quarter of my wishlists are autorecording (many of them have too many 'false positives' to want to autorecord. Or they're just there if I want to check for something to watch; like the aforementioned "movies, 2012" wishlist)

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I think HDUI upcoming uses the "dumb" mode where it lists repeating showing multiple times. Makes bug #2 all that more annoying.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Very disappointing. I use WL extensively, for every imaginable scenario. Have over 100 of them. I use them for search bookmarks like you (although I never called them that), to create MOVIE folders (using the ARWL function combined with Boolean title searches), as regular WL. I even use them as Title separators in the SP display (see attached photo). And I still grimace whenever I use Upcoming and see the same show/movie listed 69 times.

And yes, I still use the SDUI on my Elite. I am still going to order a PRO, I want the six tuners, so I can give the Elite to my wife, and take her S3 back as a reserve OTA DVR. But this is disheartening news.:(

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Not sure I understand this. Are you saying when you are in the Upcoming display of titles for a WL, you can't simply press CH-Down to go to the next show? And if I understand this correctly, it also does this (or rather, doesn't do this) on any list of shows? Like when you are in the Guide, and View Upcoming?

That would drive me nuts. That's one of the major ways I pick shows to record. Example: We like to watch some older BBT. I'll grab one in the guide, then use View Upcoming and get a list. Then open one up, and start Ch-Down'ing until I see one I want, hit Record, and keep going. If I had to back out and back in over & over, that would seem like a dramatically reduced functionality.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. IN the SDUI when you're actually in a program description you can move to the next item in the list by pressing channel up/down without having to back out and manually select the next item on the list. In the HDUI you can't do that.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's right. Channel up/down within shows details doesn't work for any HDUI list. Hence let's say you have a list of 10 shows under "upcoming" and you push into the detailed info screen of the 1st one. With SDUI as you know you could then jump to the 2nd entry by pressing channel down, or scroll back up to previous entry by pressing channel up. None of that works for HDUI. You have to press left arrow to return to the main list, then down arrow, then right arrow. (And for case of Wishlists upcoming list, when you press left arrow you are thrown all the way back to top of the list which is bug #2 I listed above).
    Same applies to "My Shows" screen or any other list of shows in HDUI screens. TiVo programmers got "lazy" and decided to not include that functionality anymore. But it's exactly features such as that one that really set TiVo apart from other DVRs so it's sad to see them thrown away.

It wouldn't be a big deal if TiVo actually used the multiple HDUI panels in a smarter way where the right panel would give you all the show details you need such that you wouldn't have to select the show and navigate to the detailed info page, but sadly the right panel typically doesn't show all the information you might want.

9. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Uggh, really don't like this news. Heck, the main reason for sticking with SDUI all these years was speed and efficiency; that's all I care about. This seems like a step back.

Thanks for responding though.:up:

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI, SDUI option is no longer available for the S5 platform in case you didn't know that already.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Yeah, I read that. At least it's supposed to be zippy now.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Please go to Tivo's OFFICIAL FORUMS and start a thread about this. That's as close as we can get to "write up a bug".

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is true for Premieres too.. I have ranted about it too.. (But I admit hypocritically, I did NOT start a thread about this.)

This is one of those issues that ALMOST has me switch back to the SDUI. But I am one of those who wants the free space indicator so much that I put up with the other issues (like this) for it.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    One more HDUI WL annoyance:
    4. HDUI Wishlists virtual keyboard doesn't honor uppercase letters when using virtual remotes using full keyboards (telnet and/or RPC protocols). i.e. To get uppercase 'H' I can't use shift+h with the virtual remote.

For issue #1 workaround I'll just create non ARWL using kmttg instead since there is option there to not auto record up front.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    As a kludge, could one create a WL that won't have any hits, let it do its ARWL thing, turn off AR, then edit the WL to what you actually want?

I realize this would be a HUGE PITA, but it beats going thru the scheduling bogdown. And I create a LOT of WL that you call "search bookmarks", which would have 100's of hits. For example, I have one called "Pilots", and one called "Horses". Those alone number in the gazillions.

16. Thoaar

Thoaar New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    That's exactly how I've been getting around the ARWL thing -- I set up a WL for "AAAAAAAAA", which hits nothing, save it, then edit it to first turn off AR then modify the criteria as needed.
    A crappy kludge that shouldn't have be done, but for now seems the only way to avoid the auto-scheduling hell that ensues on an encompassing match.

I, too, miss the old SD Wishlist functionality in comparison to the HD version on Roamio. One can hope TiVo hears the user cries and fixes the HD version.

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Thanks for letting us know that method does work.

Other than this ARWL madness, is there any other true functionality that is missing from the new WL? Do all the Boolean and other criteria work? As someone with 50-60 WL, I might as well find out where the pain might be.

18. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    One thing I don't like about the new wishlists is the upcoming screen. The old one on my HD only showed WLs that had matching shows. The Roamio one wastes tons of vertical space showing you WLs with no matching shows. That means you have to scroll through lots of useless non-matching WLs to get to see the ones that have matches.

19. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    I tried last night doing a wishlist for keyword 'pilot' doing the aaaaa method. But as soon as I edited the aaaaa..... keyword to 'pilot' the AR flag turned back on. I didn't get a bog down and was able to turn off the AR flag right away.

--Carlos V.

20. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    It is incredibly annoying to me that when you navigate from a Wishlist to its Upcoming shows, you cannot set up a Season Pass for any of said Upcoming shows. On my TiVoHD, you can do this. I consider this a functional regression in the Roamio.