1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDUI Speed

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by OSXFreak, Sep 11, 2010.

1. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Ive had the Tivo Premiere for a few months now and LOVE IT so far.. As many have done I've moved over to the SD Menu's and have been (ok, Wife has been) happy with that.

But I was surfiing and made my way here. So the big Q... Has the HDUI gotten better? I'm on 14.5 software, so just wonderingif we're now faster and more responsive, or same ole story?

If there is a Thread on the HDUI and it is recent or talking about the latest 14.5 release, feel free to point me to that thread :)

Thanks

Chip

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    The 14.5 software has made the HDUI a lot faster then when it first came. It stills needs some more work on the speed.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Still needs a lot more work. I moved back to the SD menus. Until the HDUI can be as fast as the SDUI, I am probably just not interested.

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    14.5 is still too slow and unstable to be usable, unfortunately. I've written off the HD UI until late 2011. We'll check in each time there's a version change, but given all the work they have to do to even FINISH the HD UI menus, and the galacial pace of fixes so far, it's going to be a long while.

5. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    "late 2011"? That's a year. I think you should be able to give them more credit than that. I hear the beta builds are even faster. Personally I hated the speed of the HDUI but once 14.5 came I switched for good to HD.

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Well, it's been 5 months and we've had almost NO progress on actually FINISHING the menus so they're all in HD. NO progress in putting existing SD UI features in the HD UI, and very SMALL progress in speed/stability.

I think doubling that time to finish everything that's left to port from the SD UI (and that's a LOT), and make it stable and fast, AND get the new HD UI features working right is a really tall order. I would love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see the Premiere advertised that we all bought actually being the Premiere we own before the end of 2011.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I couldn't imagine using only the SDUI on any of my Premieres. I can't stand the SD menus any more. Of course I'm not having any freezing issues or any reboots with my HDUI either.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I recently got a Premiere and still have an S3 OLED as well. I tried the HDUI on Premiere briefly and couldn't stand it - very slow and annoying for me compared to the SDUI and the S3 UI. I'll be sticking to the SDUI so hopefully TiVo continues to support that going forwards. So I have completely opposite take to aaronwt - I couldn't imagine using HDUI as it is right now. To think that HDUI was worse in previous releases doesn't inspire much confidence that it will ever be usable for me.

9. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I think the current ver. 14.5 is reasonably fast. I don't spend that much time in the menus, so the current speed allows me to get to the show I want and start playing quick enough. Of course I would welcome it to be snappier, but I don't notice the menu speed anymore. Any haven't had any lockup since the new update.

btw, I have the video window in the HD-UI turned off.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Another thing that's become very annoying is 30 sec skip (not the scan, that is way too slow as well) and 8 sec skip back are much slower than my S3. The current frame you are on when you start the skip freezes for a second or so before the skip completes, making rapid succession of skips pretty impossible. My S3 response to skips is almost instantaneous and much more agreeable.

P.S. This is not related to HDUI or SDUI. The slow skip behavior during playback applies to either mode.

11. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I think more people agree the HDUI is sluggish and are using the SD mode than happy with the HDUI. I *hate* the HDUI as it is now. Can't stand it. I put the HD mode on our bedroom TiVo without saying anything to see what my wife would say and she *freaked out* when she turned the TV on and tired to use it, demanding that I "fix" the TiVo.

I think that says it all.

Maybe it's because we're TiVo veterans, there from Day 1, Series 1 - perhaps our expectations of a TiVo are higher because they've always delivered, and this Premiere software is SUCH a miss for the company? I dunno. It's just very, very disappointing on so many levels.

12. Rastven

Rastven New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    No, that says your wife has habituated to the SDUI, hence the demand you "fix" the unit.

13. colforbin13

colforbin13 New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Coming from a nightlight S2 unit to the Premiere, the HDUI on the Premiere is about the same, and possibly a bit snappier than the SDUI on the S2. So for me, it's good enough now. The SDUI is blazingly fast compared to my S2, but I like the look of the HDUI now and don't see myself going back.

14. Tony Chick

Tony Chick New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    As a returning TiVo user, I was disappointed to find the old UI looking pretty much the same as 1999, kind of like going back to MS-DOS after using Windows or Mac. It needs an HD UI, its not a 480i world anymore but I'm not sure the design direction they've taken is the way to go, it looks kind to thrown together. They should ditch Flash and start over, use HTML-5 and basically make the UI a browser.

15. belunos

belunos New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I can see why they went with flash, but I still think it was a bad move. Especially since they still have one of the cores disabled o_O

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    There is no evidence that the Flash system they used is multithreaded, thus adding an additional core might make little to no difference in interface performance.

17. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Flash isn't multi-threaded, so no it wouldn't directly improve UI performance speed. But that assumes 100% of the CPU is devoted to the UI. The TiVO runs a lot of background processes recording channels on multiple tuners, scheduling episodes, checking for updates, etc etc, so the second processor could help grant the UI access to the full force of one of the cores. Generally, though, you need a better graphics card with hardware acceleration enabled in Flash to see substantial improvements.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    While that is true, it would only help with hesitation when there is something else actually happening at the time (assuming the HDUI is not threaded). If you are not transferring programs over the network, or it is not housecleaning, then it wouldn't help. (Non network recording, itself, takes almost no CPU). My issue is that the HDUI is too slow, even when I am pretty confident that nothing else is happening at the time.

Also, this is not the same "Flash" as you have in a web browser. It probably does have other features and capabilities we probably don't know much about. We might be surprised.

It is all speculation, but I have to keep pointing out to people that "enabling the second core" is not an automatic/guaranteed improvement in the HDUI that many people seem to believe it will be. If it were, there is no reason that TiVo would not have already had it "on" except maybe to save a tiny bit of power.

19. RichB

RichB Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Massachusetts
    The second core is not likely to have a appreciable effect.
    The really long delays are disk or network based (downloading images etc).

Multi-threading can help but the programming can be complex (to debug).
    If Flash is not thread-safe, they cannot turn on the second processor.

- Rich

20. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    In my limited use of the HDUI, flash in and of itself doesn't seem to be the most limiting/annoying part of the interface.

IMO, the most annoying part has been the integration of local and online content together. You click on a show you recorded, and then it insists on loading often unnecessary online content (graphics, etc) to go along with it. That's not really flash's fault. Tivo has always had poor online performance.

In effect, Tivo brought out the most annoying part of the interface -- the sluggish response of the apps -- into the everyday interface, and that's made it unusable to me. I don't *want* stock photos and other random junk cluttering up the interface if it's going to slow down my productivity... which it does quite handily. Minor tweaks won't solve that problem. It needs to be re-coded to buffer that stuff in advance, or let us turn it off.