1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Output stopped working

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by synchrony, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 47
    synchrony

synchrony New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I've been using the HDMI port on my TiVo for months and then it just stopped working for no apparent reason. I've been in video and home entertainment for years, so I've gone through all of the standard troubleshooting steps. Other outputs are working fine, but I'm not satisfied with anything less than HDMI. Is this a common issue? Should I send this unit back?

2. Jan 6, 2009 #2 of 47
    JonathanMeyers

JonathanMeyers New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Plano Texas
    Lots of units have this problem. Use the component connection. It's just as good as the HDMI port.

3. Jan 6, 2009 #3 of 47
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    synchrony,

Out of curiosity, what brand/model of display is your TiVo hooked up to?

4. Jan 6, 2009 #4 of 47
    synchrony

synchrony New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    No, it's not. HDMI is a digital signal and one cable vs. five. It's unacceptable for it not to work -- or to just stop working.

I've had it hooked up to two different Samsungs -- a 37" and a 52". I'd have to look up the exact model numbers. But, like I said, it worked fine for months and then just stopped all of the sudden...

5. Jan 6, 2009 #5 of 47
    evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Did you try a reboot?

6. Jan 6, 2009 #6 of 47
    synchrony

synchrony New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    At least 3 times. I went through all the basic troubleshooting steps...

7. Jan 6, 2009 #7 of 47
    evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
  8. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Mine has started this same behavior since Saturday January 17.
    Should I return my Tivo HD?

9. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    If lots of units have this problem, why doesn't Tivo issue a recall?

10. Docray1

Docray1 New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I had a non-functional HDMI output on my new TIVO HD. I got a replacement unit and it works fine. It seems there IS an issue with this.

11. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I should have returned the unit long ago I suppose, when it kept getting the GSOD but hesitated thinking it was a software problem. I just started using the HDMI when I finally got an HDTV. Now it will cost me $149 to have it replaced, according to the TIVO tech I spoke to. Maybe I should just get a DVRUpgrade increased capacity unit and transfer my Lifetime sub to it. I'd rather put the $149 towards that than throw good money after bad. Well, the component hook-up works so maybe I'll just live with that until a better idea comes along. Seems if there were really problems with the HDMI that Tivo should acknowledge it and still replace it free or at reduced price.

12. delvalputt

delvalputt New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I just got a used unit through Ebay and had the Verizon tech here putting the cable cards in. All of a sudden the HDMI output stopped receiving.
    Still having the Verizon DVR which worked fine we tried many combinations but Tivo HDMI never worked.
    We restarted 4 times. Then tried the component cables which worked fine.
    Since Verizon was installing, I am hoping for a replacement unit on them.
    D

13. rjschechter

rjschechter New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I just joined this board so I could report the same problem, and, I hoped, find out how to solve it.

My Tivo has been working just fine for months off the HDMI to my Samsung DLP television. All of a sudden, the HDMI stopped working. It doesn't work on either of the TV's HDMI inputs, although the DVD player works just fine in either of those inputs. The "Systems" menu on the Tivo says there is no HDMI cable attached.

I called Tivo and the tech automatically insisted that the probem must be with the television, and that I should call the TV manufacturer. He was unimpressed with my point that the HDMI cable has two ends and the TV end was working just fine with my DVD player. He didn't even ask me to check the systems menu, so he never learned that the Tivo doesn't seem to recognize the HDMI cable at all.

I upgraded my TV's firmware. It didn't help.

The tech then told me that the solution was to use the component cables. That, of course, is no "solution," since the HDMI picture was noticeaby better. Why does Tivo bother supporting HDMI if component is as good? He might as well have told me that the solution was to give up watching TV and start reading instead. No, that's not a "solution."

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but it certainly seems like a Tivo problem to me. Blaming the TV manufacturer, especially now that I now that this is an often reported problem with Tivo, seems like a cop-out and poor customer service.

Any new ideas, anyone?

14. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    1. I suspect that you've tried this, but since you didn't mention it, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

2. Have you tried powering down and powering up the Tivo again?

3. Are you within warranty? If you make a big enough stink, you might be able to exchange it under warranty.

4. Do you or a neighbor have another HDMI compatible TV you can test it with? It might help narrow the problem.

5. What resolution do you have the output set to-you might want to try playing around with the output resolution to see if you get different results.

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Double check to see that your TiVo is on a fixed 720p or fixed 1080i setting.

Some Samsung DLPs don't accept certain resolutions via HDMI so using "native" or "fixed 480i" will reduce in a no signal message.

As suggested above, try a different cable too.

16. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I had this same problem and the native vs fixed solved my issue. Somehow my kid got a hold of the remote and left this mystery wrapped in an enigma for me to fix one night.

17. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    I must respectfully disagree. You must be thinking of composite connections and not component. Check out this article on DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component. Video quality of either HDMI or component is dependent upon the device generating the signal. I abandoned the HDMI connection on my THD in favor of the component for the simple reason that I couldn't watch a video source from the Tivo while listening to a different audio source from my AVR...the Tivo was connected to the AVR via HDMI. This combination caused Tivo to throw the HDCP handshake error. So I dropped the HDMI and connected the component and an optical audio cable. There is absolutely no difference between PQ or AQ using this setup...and I can easily watch any Tivo video source and listen to Rhapsody through my Denon receiver...a bonus when looking at photos through the Tivo.

I say forget HDMI. The convenience of having only one cable run is not worth the HDCP headaches...in Tivo's case anyway.

18. rjschechter

rjschechter New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks, windsurfdog. I looked at the article you reference, and I don't think it means I'm crazy to say that my picture was better with HDMI than it now is with component. The article says that which one is better will depend on various factors, and it concludes by saying:
    I've given both a try, as the article says, and I have found that on my system the HDMI picture was superior. The component (no, I don't mean composite) is pretty darn good and has no obvious flaws, but the HDMI picture just sizzled. My wife and I both feel there is a discernible difference.

I'm not troubled by the extra cords involved in component hook-ups. All my cords are hidden and accessible in any event. I just feel that my picture was better before my HDMI deserted me.

19. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be aware that most modern TVs store separate settings for each input. Your settings for component may not be the same as what you were using for HDMI. Furthermore, with many TVs, you need to use slightly different picture settings to produce a comparable image on component and HDMI.

20. wjohna

wjohna New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    I am having a similar problem--Tivo to Samsung Slimfit 30" HDTV worked just fine for 2 years, then stopped working after I temporarily disconnected the Tivo due to some work being done at my house. My DVD plays just fine via the HDMI, and I tried swapping out the HDMI cables, but no luck. Component video connection with the Tivo works fine, but I'd rather have the HDMI back.