1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI extender over CAT5

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sleichli, Sep 26, 2013.

1. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I have a unique setup and bought the base model Roamio for OTA capability (no cable). I bought HDMI extenders over CAT5 and assumed it would work (works on other devices so I know the cables are working). When I connect the roamio I get nothing but I know that my TV is receiving a signal because the HDMI input is highlighted. I assume that the handshake between the roamio and HDMI extenders not working? Tech support was useless - they just said we do not support HDMI extenders. I refuse to go composite to cat5 due to poor resolution so this is my only logical option. Any advice?

2. temitch

temitch New Member

Mar 7, 2010
  3. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I use a tivio Roamio base with a 65ft HDMI run to the display. Use a gefen HDMI extender. Works fine. No issues.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have one of those. The first one I bought was a cheap unit (~$90). It seemed to work OK at first and then it just stopped for no reason. It worked with a short Cat-5 run, but with my long run it wouldn't. I replaced it with a much more expensive model (~$250), with better reviews, and that one worked great for many years.

5. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I can't run longer HDMI cables - I have 3 Ethernet cables to the TV through walls and ceilings. I was using Component over cat5 for my directv dvr but cut the cord and now going with OTA only - hence the roamio base model. I could go composite to cat5 but resolution will suffer. Is there a hdmi over cat5 solution that works?

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What resolutions do you have checked in the Roamio?

The one I have is only HDMI 1.2 compliant so I don't think it supports 1080p. You may want to uncheck the 1080p option on your Roamio and see if that allows it to work. You may even want to try limiting it to 720p if it still doesn't work.

7. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks Dan - I tried the different resolutions and still no luck. I don't know why it would not work when it works flawlessly with other devices - AppleTV, other dvr's. Additional thoughts?

8. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
  9. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I can give you a reason but you wont like it! Tivo doesn't seem to know the word "standards" as in 802.3 standard. Tivo seems to think that when they design something they can use black magic to make things work and if they work fine but if they don't oh well sorry "we don't official support that". Yes I know I am taking a cheap shot at Tivo but when you been in business as long as they have make these DVR's and you constant run in to the same problem from every generation maybe you should fix it before you offer something else.

I will say that running Ethernet through HDMI extenders maybe a crap shoot since that is not a typical setup for most users in general but given the fact that all of your other devices work especially Apple should say something. If it is one vendor that would be propriety it would be Apple. If you do get it working I love to hear back to see what you did to make it work. Best of luck.

10. dukenilnil

dukenilnil New Member

May 14, 2009
    Was hoping to hear that Roamio was better. Please update thread if you find a solution. I took the leap to component. Resolution seemed fine but the audio was a bit muted

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's unpowered so I can't imagine it would really work over 30' or so. You need a powered extender to go any real distance. Those cost $120-250.

Edit: If you actually have two Cat5 cables then there are cheaper options. This one on Monoprice is only $45...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2

12. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I was actually testing the unit at very short distances so a non-powered HDMI extender over CAT5 did not work. The good news is that a powered HDMI extender did! I bought the following: http://www.altex.com/HDMI-Extender-by-Cat5-Cable-HHEX6-P149021.aspx
    and it works perfectly. Wish I saw your post before the purchase as I have 3 CAT5 cables running to that TV but I am happy with the purchase. Thanks for your help!

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's the one I had for a while that just suddenly stopped working. The company I bought it from said they had a lot of complaints about it and would not even offer me an exchange only a refund. They said they were going to stop selling it completely.

Although that was over 3 years ago so it's possible it's gotten some sort of hardware refresh since then.

14. billschuler

billschuler New Member

Sep 15, 2013
    You get what you pay for, cheap Hmdi units are not worth buying
    Or install, they will fail if not from day one in near future

I own a custom install business's, and this is brand & model I recommend

http://www.atlona.com/HDTX.html. Transmit unit

http://www.atlona.com/HDRX.html. Receive unit

These are HD basedT. Single wire

15. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Do you have a AVR with HDMI switching? Have you tried running tivo into a AVR first and then avr out to display via cat 5?