1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Died, seems software related

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pauljb55, May 12, 2012.

1. pauljb55

pauljb55 Now in Miami Beach

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    I have 2 Tivo HDs and 2 Premieres...2 days ago both of my HD's stoped working over HDMI. I checked the cable and the tv and the premieres worked fine on these tvs/cables.

Just seems strange that the two HD have the same issue at the same time.

After rebooting, I get the welcome screen but when it goes dark as the harddrive goes live I get the lost signal message.

Tried all of it. Power cycle, resetting the cables, even unpluging the TV.

Any ideas?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sounds like the two HD TiVos are in standby. Hit the "TiVo" or "Live TV" button on the remote.

3. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Definitely not that. Even on the same TV, with the HDMI connected I get nothing, but if I also connect component cables and switch the tv input it works.

4. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Try cycling though the different output formats using the format button on the front panel. Maybe the TiVo HD's switch to a format the TV can't handle.

5. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Tried = Failed

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I had a Tivo HD suddenly lose HDMI output a few years ago. Same symptoms as you ... it just stopped working one day but component output was fine. I got it replaced under warranty.

7. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    how old were your boxes?

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I forget exactly, but since it was replaced under warranty by TiVo it must have been under a year. Out-of-warranty they still might help but charge you a replacement/exchange fee, I don't know.

9. db12768

db12768 New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Did you ever have any luck with this? My sister's HD had the same exact problem last Tuesday -- HDMI stopped working, but component output still works. The timing seems too close to be a coincidence.

Thanks,
    db

10. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Sorry, no. Been to busy with kids and work. Havent tried to go back to HDMI and never had a chance to call Tivo. But I am still sticking with my idea that it was software driven.

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't blame poor, innocent, HDMI. The problems come from its evil brother from the MPAA, HDCP...and it is software.

Use component cables and you'll have a happy life. HDCP can't travel on component.

12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I had my tivo HDMI connection going thru my receiver and was using it as a switch. One day I wasnt getting a picture. Found out something happened in the receivers switch that it no longer would accept hdmi. A week later the same thing happened to the dvd player connected to the receiver. I could connect them thru the componet inputs and get a picture as long as it was set to 480.

13. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    I would have thought that...but then why would it hit only my TivoHD units and not my 2 premiers

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's saving them for dessert.

Seriously, it's even more the spawn of Satan than the PS/2 mouse port.

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Any possibility that the cable co added something to to the feed that is causing this? And that, wonder of wonders, the Premieres are handling it properly?

16. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    This problem with HD units is quite common - the HDMI implementation in that specific box is just garbage.

I have both an original S3 and an HD box. Nothing phases the HDMI output on the S3, even when I use the HDMI and component cables at the same time (HDMI through my receiver to TV, and component to HD-PVR). But the HD unit, connected the exact same way to the same amp and HD-PVR regularly gives me trouble. In my case, the HD will sometimes just decide I have an illegal HDMI connection when the amp and TV are turned on together. If I cycle both amp and TV off/on (sometimes three or four times), it will eventually work.

From what I have read over the years since the POS HD boxes were released, some TV and amps cause the problem more often than others. If you have alternate HDMI connections, even on the same units, you might try changing to them and cycling the TV off/on to see if it starts working.

17. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Yup, the S3HD HDMI issue is well documented in these here parts. On the other hand, I have one TV that just plain doesn't like HDMI very well. Oh, it works, but if the input is set to HDMI when the TV is turned on, then it will most likely show video but have no audio. Doesn't matter what device is connected via HDMI. Usually gets fixed if I cycle the TV input through the other ports and then back to HDMI. Not surprisingly, my Tivo is now connected to that TV via component cables.

18. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Add me to the HDMI-Broken list as of today.

Tivo HD, which i've had for year(s) suddenly presented a blank screen..didn't seem to respond to remote (per looking for the flashing light on the Tivo). Rebooted via power cord, and still no display (other than the initial bootup)

Verified HDMI cable worked, Verified HDMI port on TV worked, Verified Component Cable method works. Rebooting Tivo and TV did not resolve.

I'm assuming the HDMI interface on the Tivo is borked. So I'm back to Component, and my kid will have to deal with the Wii in 480i instead of 480p. (TV only has one Component input).

19. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Problem solved...45 hour premier on woot today for 44.95! I will just switch one of them out and keep my 6.95 plan and I am good. Waiting for a while to pick up the XL4.
    Also, what is the cost to move a lifetime now...I tried going through the process online and it seems it showed no cost...

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't believe it costs anything to move a lifetime (or I suppose you could say it costs an infinite amount). You just can't do it.