1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI and Dolby

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ed Dixon, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Ed Dixon

Ed Dixon New Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Have a Roamio connected to a Samsung SmartTV. Even though set for Dolby, sound output from TV to AV received is only 2 channel. Seems like Roamio doesn't pass Dolby via HDMI.

Other video/audio direct from TV (Netflix, etc) work correctly for Dolby 5.1.

Do I need a separate optical from Roamio to get Dolby 5.1?
  2. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, use an optical cable from Roamio to AVR (any unused optical input, but you may have to assign the input to a named device). I had to do this and it works. Either turn off TV speaker or run its volume to zero as the synch won't be quite perfect.

I'm no expert on HDMI, but there is apparently a "handshake" at the beginning of communication where the two devices negotiate "common ground." Most TVs only decode Dolby from their internal tuners, not their HDMI inouts, and hold out for stereo in the negotiation.

Edit: Thank you, Tivo, for providing the optical output for those of us with olders AVRs, TVs that won't pass Dolby from HDMI inputs, etc. I also have a Roku and solving the problem there was more difficult due to lack of optical out. HDMI is not the panacea it is billed as. Just sayin'.
  3. gmacted

gmacted New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    I have my Roamio Pro connected via HDMI directly to my AVR and I get Dolby 5.1 with no problems.

I think the problem lies in your Samsung SmartTV. My guess would be that your TV is not passing the Dolby Digital to your AVR. I think other "direct" video/audio works because it originates from the TV and not from an external source.

In most instances, TVs cannot pass through Dolby Digital from another HDMI device. It has to do with HDCP digital rights. Google it. It seems to be a fairly common issue.
  4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    What type of receiver do you have. I use a Pioneer Elite vsx-60. I run my Roamio Pro into the receiver then out to my Sony NX810 TV. 5.1 plays just fine.
    Both audio and video will pass through if i want to leave the receiver turned off, I never do.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
  5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009