1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD XL w/bad Tuner 0

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nielsenec, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nielsenec

nielsenec New Member

May 18, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I have a confirmed bad tuner 0 on my 4 yr old HD XL dual tuner (tivo tech support diagnosis). I am ordering a new Premium 4XL but would like to use the single tuner in another room.
    Is there any way to disable or lock out the Tuner 0 so it won't try to record shows? A hack?
    Any other ideas?

2. pig_man

pig_man Member

Jun 4, 2009
    1. Make sure the bad tuner is always, always the front tuner.

2. Make sure you never, ever have two simultaneous recordings scheduled.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Chances are, the tuner may be okay and what you're seeing is the beginning of power supply problems.

One of the early manifestations of "capacitor plague" (in TiVos) was S2 DirecTiVos losing one tuner.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    3. Make sure you don't request padding that would cause overlap on sequential recordings.

The idea is that if the TiVo thinks you are watching live TV on the bad tuner, it won't touch it as long as one other tuner is enough for all recordings.

5. pig_man

pig_man Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Here's another one:

3. Turn Suggestions OFF

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a S3 OLED unit that has a problem with one of the tuners and I'm 99% sure it's because of a bad power supply.

You can buy a new power supply from weaknees for $100. I haven't done it with mine because I ended up buying a Elite instead and don't really have a use for the S3 at the moment.

Dan

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or you can spend $10 on replacement capacitors and solder them in yourself and save some moolah.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'd love to do that, but I am terrible at soldering. I have a Slingbox with some bad capacitors as well that I'd like to fix. But my past attempts at soldering have been such a nightmare I just can't bring myself to even try it.

Dan