1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD XL - updating for 3 1/2 hours and still going?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aliceand1483, Feb 12, 2017.

1. aliceand1483

aliceand1483 New Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Turned the TV on and got the service update screen. Well, it's been updating for more than 3 1/2 hours now and I'm missing the Grammys. I'm not happy.

How can I get this damn thing to stop? Usually when something's happening, the little TiVo guy moves a bit but not this time.

HELP! I want to watch TV.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The recommended approach is let it run overnight on units this old, rebooting will just put it further behind on the loop, I'd suggest take the RF cable out of the Tivo and plug it directly in the TV for the night since the Grammys are on network TV.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have my coax from the antenna split to go into Roamio, S3 and directly into the TV. So, I can watch TV live or from either Tivo.

4. LaurenLMHC

LaurenLMHC Member

Aug 28, 2013
    My Tivo has been updating for an hour. I'm curious what happened with yours. Mine is a Series 4

5. aliceand1483

aliceand1483 New Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Not well. It went on for about 4 hours and it wiped out all my Season passes. Given that I had about 150 of them, I wasn't pleased.

After that mess, it finally gave me the opportunity to move my Premiere into my bedroom where I watch TV the most, and moved the wiped out HD XL to the living room. Then I had to go through the process of rebuilding my Season Passes on the new one. I'm sure I've missed some of my shows in the process but nothing I could do about it. Good luck!! I'm sure not everyone had the same experience I did.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    GO to TiVo online "manage" -> "One Pass Manager" your season passes may still be there at least you can copy them from the other DVR

7. aliceand1483

aliceand1483 New Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Yes, I did check TiVo Online and it would no longer show that machine at all. Maddening. It said that it had to be a Premiere or later for it to show up. So with this update, TiVo apparently decided it would no longer support anything earlier than a Premiere. Given that I've purchased 6 TiVos since they first offered them, I just can't justify paying for yet another lifetime sub. They used to sometimes let us transfer the sub from one machine to another, but $399 or $499, whatever it is now, after all these years of loyalty on my behalf -- I just can't do iti.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This does not work any longer for Tivos older than Premiere.

9. aliceand1483

aliceand1483 New Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Did they warn us about this before the update? I don't recall seeing anything.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, but they ended activations of service for Series 3 and older models.

It would be a good time to backup all your season/one Passes using KMTTG as it will be the only way currently.

11. aliceand1483

aliceand1483 New Member

Feb 12, 2017
    And now I guess the HD XL model as well.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is a Series 3 model. TCD658000

There are only 3 models of Series 3, TCD648250B, TCD652160, TCD658000.

The model numbers are located on the back label, next to the power cord socket. It can also be indicated in "System Information" screen, Software version (first 3 numbers of the model matches the first 3 of version), Tivo Service Number (first 3 numbers).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    One wishes--it's now up to $549.99 . . . .

14. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Regarding support for older TiVos online, they broke that ages ago...I want to say at least a year ago? Maybe more like 2-3 years ago?

My TiVo HD XL died a year ago, and it had been quite a long time it when I couldn't manage it online at that point.

Thankfully my Bolt's more or less pretty good.