1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD netflix not working. 25 Mbps too slow?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by leiff, Dec 23, 2013.

1. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I did a speed test and my Comcast speed is 30 Mbps. I can use YouTube 1080 P easy, but my Netflix won't go past 480. Will it help to get comcasts blast 25-50 Mbps? I know my modem capability (doxic 2) caps out before 50 Mbps. I had blast speed before but I downgraded because I didn't think it was necessary for the highest quality Netflix. When I had blast before I noticed Netflix HD was working. if 25 Mbps is sufficient for the highest Netflix quality then what could the problem be?

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    are you possibly watching an older movie that isn't available in HD?

3. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I just tried netflix on my smart tv and its still stuck on SD. is Netflix service to blame or what?

4. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    No i tried a bunch of new stuff.should I call Comcast to upgrade back to blast speed and then quickly check Netflix to see if that then enables HD?

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There must be some other issues. Netflix barely uses any bandwidth. It's highest available HD stream is very slow and is only around 5.8Mb/s. ANd Netflix recommends having only a 7 to 8Mb/s connection for it.

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    :up: I could usually get HD Netflix when I had a 5Mb/s connection, but it would sometimes stop to buffer every once in a while, which was annoying. Sometimes it would downgrade the stream, also annoying. My Tivo HD doesn't have the CPU horsepower to get much more than 10Mb/s on my LAN anyway. 25 should be more than enough.

7. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm new at using Netflix. Do their servers get saturated sometimes, somedays resulting in SD qualty only? after a couple hours i checked back and Im getting super hd & DD+ now. are you sure there highest stream is only 6 mbps?

8. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Highest I have ever seen is 7mbps.

And yes Netflix can get saturated.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes the average bitrate for Super HD is 6Mbps. With H.264 you can really get good compression if you do a multi-pass encode.

10. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Some cable companies rate-limit Netflix. Because they see it as a competitor to their own services.

11. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Are netflix's CDN's still capable of being confused if you use nonstandard DNS settings? And are you using nonstandard DNS settings?

It used to be the case where an east coast user, using a west coast dns (a poorly selected OpenDNS server for example), could end up streaming from a west coast CDN server, and the results would stink.

I seem to recall they fixed that, and it's unlikely in the first place, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

12. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Im seeing the same Netflix problem now, it being prime time evening hours again. after googling it looks like Comcast limits net-flix bandwidth duing prime time hours. at least in my area (bay area). this is Netflix specific I can still download fast or stream HD quality using any other service during this time. So for me Netflix HD is unavailable during the evening primetie hours. very upset

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Cox is doing throttling YouTube here during prime hours but Netflix Super HD works any time. Luckily I don't care about or watch YouTube, but I still don't like the principal of the matter.

14. jeffosoft

jeffosoft New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Tivo has been notorius for their Netflix App for 3 generations now. ITs likely something with the tivo

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVos have never had issues streaming the HD stream from Netflix. If you aren't getting the HD stream it is most likely a problem with Netflix CDN or with your setup. During prime time, it is not uncommon for Netflix to have issues and it not let you stream the highest quality.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I rather doubt that. As pointed out, Netflix HD does not take much bandwidth, relatively speaking for broadband.... and with the Roamio the UI is very quick and responsive.

My own personal experience is that with upgraded Comcast to the "blast" level of internet service I NEVER get any buffering or downgrade of Netflix HD content even during prime time hours.

My own personal suspicion from my work doing network engineering is that Comcast puts blast or other high tier users into a higher priority queue, so that their service is less likely to be interrupted during peak bandwidth times.... so, mine is working great but the guy two houses over with basic internet might be getting buffering or downgrade to SD during those times.