1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Guru confirms Scientific Atlanta / Cisco Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mfogarty5, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mfogarty5

mfogarty5 New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    The hdguru's most recent post is about how SDV breaks CableCards. It's a pretty good read, but the part I found most interesting is quoted below.

"The HD Guru™ has surveyed several makers of CableCARD ready sets, and all said their sets were never designed to add such a device and even if their respective sets have USB ports, they will not be able to accept such an adapter.

So this leaves only the owners of high definition TiVo DVRs. The adapter device should work with HD TiVos, however, according to a Cisco spokesperson, its version is now undergoing testing at Cablelabs and is not expected to be released until sometime this summer. A Motorola source would not provide any status or a release date, likely missing the promised availability in the second quarter 2008."

This is the first confirmation of a Scientific Atlanta / Cisco Tuning Adapter.

http://hdguru.com/how-the-cable-industry-plans-to-cheat-10-million-hdtv-owners/233/

2. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I don´t see a date for that article. It may have been written last week since Cisco mentions the testing which was done last week.

I´ve been looking for days for something on this. Thanks.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    basically the rest of the CE industry just said to heck with it. TiVo left on its own worked out something with Comcast and cablelabs.

It would have been nice if HDTV makers had been more vocal back in the days the FCC just kept moving the deadline and cable companies just kept saying the same old OCAP or nothing mantra.

4. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Just makes it more tempting to start boycotting Cable & go straight to OTA.

Understandable some people can't go straight OTA or they would get nothing. I have a vacation home that I have cable at, because you can't get OTA.

TGC

5. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    This is good news IMO. "This summer" from Cisco is close enough to the "second quarter" deadline we were told before.

Not that I care anymore, I will dump cable soon. But good for everyone who currently pays for channels they can't even receive.

6. HD GURU

HD GURU New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Details that I was not able to ascertain from Cablevision or TiVo by deadline were about the logistics of obtaining the "tuning adapter" ( I prefer the term dongle) from you cable provider. Will it be free or will the cable provider charge for it? If a charge, will it be monthly or a one time fee. Can a TiVo owner pick it up at their providers office or will the cable company charge around fifty buck for a "truck roll" to deliver it (as they do when requesting a CableCARD from Cablevision (NY).

One more detail I did not receive from our friends at TiVo: When will the required firmware download for the dongle to work be sent?

HD Guru

7. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    HTPCs would be a possible market as well.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    thanks for the deeper look :up: These are all good questions

9. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    If you go to the main page it lists the date as Tuesday 15 April.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    That all remains to be seen.

My guess is a truck roll will be required to deliver/install/authorise the unit (with the requisite truck roll fee), the same as Cablecards, and probably the same time as, for new customers. There will be a nominal rental fee. Or they could allow customer pickup and install, with totally no additional cost. I suspect the former will be the norm.

My guess for a software release date would be by the end of summer for full distribution.

11. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    TVs have used tuning resolversadapters for like 40 years. They´ve generally been called cable boxes. :eek:

12. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    When using a cable box, a TV isn't trying to tune to anything other than 61.25 Mhz (analog channel 3). A resolver will be a gizmo that lets the TV find the right program stream when told to tune to channel 811.

13. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Its all about the same thing. I really refer to the guy´s mention that TV makers weren´t playing - like I´m a TV maker and I say "tuning adapter? huh, isn´t that what the STB is for?...

Series3 Platform TiVoes are comparatively unique in that they have no ability to interface with a STB, thus needing a specialized, analogous component...

14. Austin_Martin

Austin_Martin New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    You're forgetting that these TV makers put in the digital cable tuners and cablecard slots specifically to avoid the STB's.

Both the cablecard tv's and the Series 3 Tivos were made to avoid an extra STB.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    anyone in the know - knew that cable cards would not tune SDV by themsleves and that something extra would be needed. They should also have known that SDV was key to cable companies.

I can certainly unserstand purchasers of TVs being upset they are left out of the loop. Their was not as much reason for them to in the know on all this.

But for TV manufactures to be crying foul at this point in the game is like trying to say the goal scored in the first half should not count when there is 2 minutes left in the game.

In my opinion the TV set makers should be held accountable for the problem. I would say TiVo should as well but they are doing something about the issue and have been for a couple of years now.

16. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Nah, I didn´t forget.

17. FrancesTheMute

FrancesTheMute Resident Nihilist

Sep 16, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is what I find amusing. All cable boxes are required to have CableCARDS in them, but they have no issue with getting SDV and VOD with their boxes. Almost makes me wonder if the cableCARDS in the STB's aren't just dummy cards that don't actually do anything. It stands to reason if they truly are using CableCARDS and they can handle SDV, then any device using a cableCARD should be the same. Either that, or the FCC should require the cable companies to provide whatever information is needed to get the two way communication to happen to companies like Tivo. With Tivo it should be really easy to add each company's information to the download when doing the guided setup.

To me, this whole thing is just a big F.U. to the FCC from the cable companies. It's nice that Tivo is being so proactive, since it's obvious the cable companies don't give a **** about their customers.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought they were just required to be cable-card ready.

19. lofar

lofar New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I found this an interesting point, so I figured since I have one of these DVR's from the cable company that i'd pull out the cable card and see. So if anyone is interested this is what is in my Cox branded, scientific atlanta cable box.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/lofar1/CCBack.jpg
    http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/lofar1/CCFront.jpg

And sure as heck, the box does not work without the cable card.. What else is funny is that this is a MS card and they apparently don't offer MS cards in my area. hmmm

20. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Stop! Bad info! Do Not Disassemble your cable box just yet!

CableCARDs are a seperate entity from the components involved in accessing SDV.

For more details, read other threads on subject.