1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD failure on S3 (THX)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sdsvtdriver, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Came home yesterday to find my APC H15 off due to a relay failure. Reset the unit and my S3 boots up and all seems to be well... then it rebooted again. Fine... it'll do that sometimes. Once it booted up again, I started playback of a recorded program and it rebooted again, so that ruled out software update (update for S3, ha!). I ran kickstart and ran the drive through the SMART test and got a FAIL 7 on the extended test. Bummer!

Re ran the test again and got the same error. Looks like my 1TB is on the way out. Ordered a WD20EURS from Amazon. Now I have to dig the old PC out of the closet and figure out how to swap the drive again. It's been a while. :)

I was debating whether it not it was worth investing another $100 into the box, but since it has lifetime, I went ahead with the purchase. Wise?

2. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think it is worth fixing. I wish I had kept my S3 THX. I would probably check the power supply caps for bulging/leaking while you are in there. If you can solder, its an easy $10-$15 fix.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Here's a photo of what to look for. Be sure to use premium (105C temp rating, low ESR) replacement caps.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8750894#post8750894

4. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Atlanta
  5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Which S3 and is it running at least 11.0k of the TiVo software?

(It's almost certain to be doing so, unless you've already been updated to 11.0m)

When you get that EURS, run WD's long test on it before using it for anything just to be sure.

Then the easiest way would be to do the copy with WinMFS if you've got it and at least XP on that PC.

Alternatively, you could use

dd

or

dd_rescue

from the MFS Live cd v1.4 to do a byte for byte (with repeated attempts at problem sectors on the source drive) copy.

Either way, once you get the 1TB copied to the 2, stop and test it in the TiVo, then if all is well, use WinMFS to expand it.

Copy and expand have to be separate steps for some reason.

6. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I guess I'd better learn to solder! Fortunately, it appears only one is like that. It's C701.

[​IMG]

It's the TCD648250B. Software version unknown. I'd imagine the latest since it was online all year until yesterday.

Thanks for the refresher on the copy. Going to dig out the ol' PC here shortly.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
  8. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    kinda same happened to me ... I was having issues with what I thought was a cable card issue, losing a bunch of channels on one of my TiVos (S3 OLED)

so I moved it downstairs and swapped it with my other one, as Comcast support was blaming my cabling and or signal strength. The one Downstairs was working fine.

It went into a reboot loop. I guess these guys don't like getting rebooted often. Mine are all on UPSs. They never get rebooted. Even when we lose power My generator is up before the UPS battery runs out.

Opening the defective one up I found the bulging Cap C701. I bought a few, and replaced them in all 3 of my S3's. They were all bulging... I bet that will fix it. It fixed mine. All my channels came back and rebooting was no longer a problem.

hang on to that S3 OLED -- it's a keeper!

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I recommend replacing at least the two or three largest caps, especially if they are the same brand as the bulging one. Additional cost and effort are minimal.

If you are serious about needing to learn to solder, take a look at this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Practi...377263606&sr=8-3&keywords=learn+to+solder+kit
    I suspect Radio Shack may have something similar or even better. Usually if a cheap learn-to-solder kit includes a soldering iron, it isn't a good one. Hopefully you already have one, or buy it separately.

For replacing parts, removing the old solder is perhaps at least as challenging as soldering in the new part. None of it is difficult -- once you have done enough to have a good "feel" for it and some confidence.

I wouldn't recommend learning to solder using the TiVo power supply board. Several other posters have been able to get friends or local electronics repair shops to do the cap replacements -- but I recommend you get the premium parts and supply them. The only source for replacement power supplies is weaknees.com and they cost $100. Check their web site but I think what they supply for your model are "pulls", i.e., removed from other TiVo's and tested.

10. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I used your post last night when I ordered new caps. Your board was r2 and mine was the original revision, so I compared everything and the parts matched up. I ordered all the ones you did just to have them on hand as the cost was cheap. Thanks for your detailed writeup!

11. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Agreed. I have a friend that's been trying to dump off two S2's and an S3 on me... I think I'm finally going to take them and use the other S3 for parts or whatever... or use it if I can get $99 lifetime on it!

I'm half serious. I've soldered in the past... the way past! I no longer have any (decent) soldering equipment so I ordered a pencil iron from Amazon, some wick, a pump, and some Kester solder. I ordered the caps from digikey (Panasonics). I think I can do this!

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You may run into a problem with that pencil iron not being high enough wattage for the job, depending on what wattage it is.

If so, Radio Shack (about which I rarely say nice things) has a thing that looks like a pencil iron but has a big red squeeze bulb on it that's made for de-soldering which might come in handy.

And be sure to observe polarity when replacing those caps.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I think you will do fine!

14. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    40 watt. 900F. It was tough finding something with a small tip but with decent wattage. Think that'll work ok? I read that 750F is optimum for 'though the hole' soldering, but everything 750F had large tips. :/

Thanks for the suggestion on the bulb. I have an RS nearby if needed. Polarity noted. :)

Thanks! :)

Just finished the WD diags on my 1TB drive. Came back with failures. Opted to NOT repair and will be setting up the new drive later on.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    My opinion: 40 W should be enough.

16. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I forgot to ask... there's some white adhesive on this capacitor gluing it to adjoining caps. How is this best removed? Blade?

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Try fingers first, then a blade, and if that doesn't work, a blowtorch. :D
    I'm not sure why it's there. Noise reduction?

18. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    probably to hold them in place when they blow! lol

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have some wire cutters, the kind called diagonal cutters, or "dikes", you can use them to "shatter" it.

Or big pliers.

20. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    i do have those, thanks for the suggestion.