1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Add hard drive external?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cooper243, Oct 25, 2012.

1. cooper243

cooper243 King of the '80s

Dec 10, 2006
    Hello, I was wondering if the WDBACW0010HBK has been found to work with the Tivo HD. It is a Western Digitial My Book Essential 1TB.

I have looked around the forums and have not found much for the tivo hd, just the premier.

Thank you!
  2. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    If you add an external drive, IF THE DRIVE GOES BAD, you lose all recordings on BOTH drives.

Better option is to expand the internal drive.
  3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    WD makes different versions of the "My Book" external hard drive. You want to find the one that specifically mentions that it works with Tivos.
    I believe it is called the My Book DVR Expander.
  4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I think there are actually at least two versions of the 1TB My Book DVR Expander, only one of which is certified to work with the TiVo.

The other one is for somebody else's DVR.

As for the OP's question, if they're looking for an external drive (better to replace the internal with a bigger one), then they have to find the one with the TiVo logo on the box.

No TiVo logo, it's not on the very small list the TiVo checks external drives against.
  5. jreichjr

jreichjr New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Is there a list of hard drives that are the best to use for an internal Tivo
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    There is no such thing as an official list.

Of the drives with which people have had success in S3 HDs and S4s, probably the WD20EURS is the only one still readily available.