1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd 1080i mpeg 2 on android- choppy

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by leiff, Sep 18, 2013.

1. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Anyone else watch there mpeg2 hd videos on a android tablet? I want to buy a 10 inch 1080p tablet to watch my1080i tivo shows after turned into mpeg2. Anyone know if tegra 3 can do this without stutter? I was considering asus tf700. As i recall mpeg2 doesn't do HW acceleration on android. seems like a hassle to convert to a diff. format to get hw acceleration?

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    mpeg2 is and old and inefficient format. Android devices include hardware acceleration for h.264 video which is pretty much mainstream for network and portable video. kmttg can help you convert easily and the resultant files will be significantly smaller as well.

3. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes, and MPEG2 is only used on every single DVD ever pressed, or which will be made in the future, and 99.999999% of OTA & Digital cable TV content in many countries around the vorld for the forseeable future.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    None of which as anything to do with an android tablet or phone.

The OP may want to try MX Player on their android device before giving up. It will play many formats that others will not and has direct multi core support for many of the latest processors.