1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO movie recording deleting in X days?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by consumedsoul, Jun 19, 2014.

1. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Anyone else see this behavior - I have ample space on my Roamio, recorded a HBO movie but it's labeled yellow and indicates it will delete in 3 days (7 days from being recorded) - is there some kind of DRM flag that only allows a movie to stay recorded for 7 days?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's a DRM thing called the CCI bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

and you should familiarize yourself with its features, but what you are seeing is probably a version of a Macrovision (It's not just for VCRs anymore!) restriction

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-08/tivo-macrovision-and-the-stealth-broadcast-flag/

Also see

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

3. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
  4. Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    You need to change the "Recording" settings on your TIVO to "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE". The Tivo is set to delete shows after a few days.

5. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    Yeah the yellow circle is because you likely have enough scheduled recordings upcoming and possibly 60+% full hard drive that the tivo is going to delete to free up space. It will get an "!" in the circle 24 hours before it will delete.

6. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    that's definitely not the case, i don't have enough recordings in next 3-4 days that would put it even near 20% full...

7. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    other movies recorded on the same day (or even next day) on hbosphd isn't flagged as 'will be deleted within 3 days'.

this is so weird...

8. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I'd wait and see if it actually gets deleted. TiVo messaging in the My Shows list isn't very good and can be misleading.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's not a CCI flag. The only CCI flag that limits how long a recording lasts would have deleted it after 90 minutes. And it's not Macrovision as that only applies to analog recordings.

All this means is that at some point the TiVo thought it would need to delete that movie to make room. It may have been one day where bad data caused it to schedule a ton of episodes of some marathon, which then fixed itself later when it got better data. But once the expiration flag is set I don't think it ever goes away. There is nothing to worry about though, the movie wont actually be deleted unless the TiVo needs the space, and since you say the TiVo is only 20% full that's unlikely to actually happen. If you're really worried though you can set the movie to Keep Until I Delete

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Any show on the DVR will go to ! after a while, meaning it could be deleted at any time, but unless the thing runs out of space, it won't be. I KUID anything important, but I have a few daily shows that I don't always watch set up fro KUSN...

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have some recordings on mine that are from last September that don't have the (!), they're still blue. It's all a matter of scheduling. If the TiVo ever thinks it's going to run out of space based on what's in the ToDo list then it will start flagging recordings as possible for deletion. I've never had my Roamio pro even close to full and I don't have that many SPs so it doesn't have any yellow icons at all. However my wife has a TON of SPs and her Pro is at like 90% full so she's got a bunch of yellow in her list.

But in any case it doesn't matter, like we said nothing will ever actually get deleted unless you actually run out of space.

12. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I always thought it could do a better job projecting when a show will actually be deleted. I've got numerous SP that keep a max 5 or 10 episodes, so at 96% I see the (!) with the 3 day warning, but it never really runs out of space since its purging SP episodes fairly quickly.

13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I get the ! even when half of my XL4 is free. Although maybe that's because I have a limit on the number of episodes that can be stored and there are future ones that are going to record soon.

14. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Go look at the title for this thread

Then read the Dave Zatz article to which I linked.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'll repeat Macrovision ONLY applies to analog recordings. And since the Roamio doesn't record analog it can not apply in this case. That article you linked to was from 2006 back when we were all still using S2 units that recorded from analog inputs.

CableCARD devices use the CCI byte, and the CCI byte only has 3 settings that apply to TiVo. Copy freely, copy once and copy never. The first two do not limit how long a recording can be stored, only whether or not they can be copied agin after TiVo records it. The last one limits storage to 90 minutes, which can't be the case for the OP because he specifically mentions that it was scheduled to be deleted 7 days after he recorded it.

There is no flag that the cable company can set that will force A Roamio to delete a program 7 days after it's recorded.