1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO Is Coming to Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    The war between Netflix and Amazon intensifies: (Netflix lost round one)

http://time.com/73525/hbo-is-coming-to-amazon-prime-whether-you-have-hbo-or-not/

"Prime members; this isn’t HBO signing up to let Amazon charge you to watch these shows. Amazon says Prime members will have “unlimited streaming access” to shows that include:

All seasons of The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, as well as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords

Miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End

Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood

Original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack

Documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke

Original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher

Amazon says earlier seasons of HBO shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will roll out “over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO.”

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    In what way did Netflix "lose round one" ?

Yep the battle is on and a key feature of both contender's strategies is to raise the cost to the consumer somewhere between $1 and $2 per month. Hope it's worth it and hope it isn't the beginning of a growing trend.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Prime already went up and it's inevitable that Netflix will raise prices, I'm surprised that haven't already. It's not strategy it's simple economics, costs go up, consider the energy bill of anyone running any amount of servers for starters.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Anything that get's HBo content away from cable companies is fine by me. This is the first step in a good direction for consumers. Considering that I pay for about 200 channels and only watch about a dozen of them I'm all for more alacarte options.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I think most people would prefer an a la carte selection. The reality is that the individual dozen or so channels would probably end up costing you more than an overall package containing the 200 channels you already receive. Providers make money by including shopping and religious chanels and get special rates by bundling lots of other channels in with the mix. That savings is passed onto the customer with the bundled packages.

I'd rather pay for a bundled package that includes all of the channels I watch because I know that it will cost me less. It makes no sense to me to pay for a single channel at an inflated rate when there may be only one or two shows that I watch over the entire year on that channel. For example, I generally only watch the History Channel when they air Vikings, which typically runs 9-10 episodes per season. I'd rather not have to deal with adding and dropping channels with every start and stop of a season for a given show.

FWIW, I dropped HBO years ago because it's the most expensive single premium channel package offered. I only watched a handful of the shows they provided and never watched any of the movies (that's what I had NetFlix for), except one of their own productions on occasion.

What's funny is that you'll be able to stream HBO programs from Amazon that have been available on DVD and Blu-Ray from NetFlix for quite some time.

6. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but a la carte would result in you paying probably the same for those dozen channels.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Now if only Amazon Prime can come to Tivo.....

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    They have announced a $1 to $2 per month price increase. That's what I was referring to.
    I think additional programming is the primary reason for the price increases, not server costs. My only hope is it will be a good value (to me of course). I would be happy to pay a lot more for Netflix and/or Amazon Prime **if** the additional programming would allow me to cut the cable cord.

BTW, what do you mean "costs go up"? The government says there is no inflation! Well actually they say it is around 1.5% per year. So that would justify Netflix increasing their price by only about 12 cents per month.

9. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Energy prices might be going up, but datacenter efficiency is also going up. I doubt that electricity is driving a $1-2 price increase at Netflix (especially since they use AWS instead of running their own datacenters and AWS pricing has gone down, not up)

10. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
  11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm gonna cancel NetFlix. I can't keep up as is, and the only thing keeping me on NetFlix is House of Cards.

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I don't see the point of "HBO is coming to Amazon Prime" when TiVo users have been given the cold shoulder by Amazon for years now.... this announcement does us no good unless we have secondary devices in all of our viewing areas.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    My guess is a majority of readers of this thread already have secondary devices, because Tivo has been such a poor platform for Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Video. This **may** be changing with the Roamio models.

14. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    You hear the argument in the debate a lot, but here my attempt to see if that's accurate. Some Canadian carriers offer A La Carte. Pulling up one at random, they charge $2.80 for one channel. I remember other carriers offering discounts in blocks.

For me, I'd save a lot of money, like half to quarter my TV cable bill, because I prefer few (higher quality to me, rare to others) stations that normally get only put into higher price packages.

I can concede those who like many channels on the value cable packages are probably getting a good deal.

15. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Your goal is to spend less money and the cable's goal is you spend more money.
    No matter how they restructure the packages they are not going to come up with something where you give them less money unless the competition forces them to.

Which is what is happening between ATT and Sprint right now.

16. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Exactly. I don't know why everyone assumes that "over the top" or "IP video" is going to magically make things less expensive.

The content companies and cable companies are both in a position to prevent any disruption from ever happening, ever. They control the production of content, and they control the delivery of it. In many cases the same company owns both ends. So, if you decide you're going to watch crummy YouTube content instead of high quality NBC content, Comcast will just make sure that YouTube has to pay to get access to you, meaning YouTube will load it up with ads or charge you a subscription fee, and oh gee, you're right back where you started only the content now sucks.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I would gladly pay the same for the actual channels I want.. Turn off the religion & shopping channnels (which pay the cable companies), AND turn off the ones I don't actually watch.

I actually don't have a huge problem with bundles in general, if they were alongside a la carte. Some people can be dumb and buy individual cans of soda, I'll buy cases... (Though I realize in this example, I want to buy individuals..)

18. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    That makes no sense. Why would you pay the same for less? In what universe would that be a good deal for anyone? You are free to not watch something if you don't like it.

And like you mentioned, shopping and religious channels pay for carriage, so they will always exist.

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    But Prime is a totally different business model than Netflix. Prime is a shipping service for physical goods that happens to include streaming video. Netflix is a streaming video service.

This is an interesting angle. They are taking baby steps away from cable and towards monetizing their own content through their own mediums...

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I am not paying for less "I care about". So I am paying for exactly what I actually want/watch.

It makes things a meritocracy.

So I would be theoretically paying for _exactly_ the same as what I actually "get" (watch) now.