1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO Go iOS update supports chromecast

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by nws alpine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Just saw the HBO app update supports chromecast. Can anyone check if it can cast to the Roamio and Mini without any issues?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Since the Roamio does not have the HBO app available, the answer is no, it will not work.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Roamio's don't support Chromecast. They support DIAL which is what Chromecast uses. However, DIAL requires an accompanying app already be available on the Roamio.

4. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I was thinking in terms of airplay and forgot DIAL requires a host app. Well at least the support is built into the app.

Tivo needs to work on licensing to get HBO Go on the tivo.

5. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Fingers crossed that someone will make an Opera app that supports AirPlay!

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think Chromecast apps are exclusively HTML5 based, so this means HBOGo now has at least the player part of the app ported over to HTML5, which means there is hope that we will see HBOGo on TiVo in the future.

7. adidino

adidino New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    I've been a little disappointed with the progress of DIAL so far. I was hopeful when Hulu announced Chromecast support hoping TiVo would follow shortly but nothing so far. Same now with HBO GO.

I hope Tivo picks up the pace on DIAL support for these apps.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Chromecast is a much simpler platform. It basically just needs a URL and a basic player. The "app" part is already written for the iOS or Android device. TiVo requires a complete app. I assume all the apps that are on TiVo are being ported to the HTML5 platform and once they are they will support DIAL.