1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO Go app?

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by AdamNJ, Aug 28, 2013.

1. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    So yesterday on Tivo's facebook page they posted a picture of a stuffed animal tivo mascot with a rose in front of the HBO building with a title of "Roamio loves HBO! Do you?"

Does anyone have any reliable rumors that this means an HBO Go app is coming for the HTML5 engine on the Roamio? Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I would really like this.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Since HBO is also a channel I'm not sure I would read to much into this. However I would LOVE to see HBOGo come to the Roamio.

3. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Me too, but Comcrap doesn't make HBOGo available (here/in general) via Roku so it probably won't show up on TiVo either.

4. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    So you can't even get HBO Go on your computer? Until that happens, yes def no way you will see it on any devices.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No Comcast has some weird dispute with Roku. You can get HBOGo on a PC or on an AppleTV, but not via Roku. I just heard about this recently so I'm not sure what the exact problem is. Probably some sort of money issue.

6. Mar 7, 2014 #6 of 27
    halfsheep

halfsheep New Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Comcast wont let hbogo work on the new ps3 app either. So, even if it comes to tivo, us comcast losers may be SOL anyway.

7. d_vail

d_vail New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    What's the point of hbo go on tivo? Is this just for the people who don't have on demand yet? I live In California and do have on demand and get all my hbo shows on there. I thought recently comcast announced they were starting to roll it out to all markets now for tivo users?

8. TivoQueensDad

TivoQueensDad New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    NJ
    In Cablevision Land, there's no such thing as "On Demand" for anyone with a cablecard. There's no "yet". I doubt they will ever add it. Besides - even if they did, the HBO Go app on my Roku is much better than Cablevision's on demand interface (that you need a cable box to get). I assume a Tivo HBO GO App would be a decent app, hopefully in HD with the current channel still running in the upper right corner of the screen while I "shop" for a show to watch.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah if you live in Comcast territory then you probably don't have much use for it. But Comcast only accounts for like 20% of cable users. The rest of us live in areas with cable companies that are not so TiVo friendly.

10. artinnj

artinnj New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Same for FiOS. Can get HBO Go on Apple devices, but would be nice to have it on my TiVo like Netflix or Hulu Plus.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    HBO Go gives you the entire backlog of HBO shows. That is one reason Tivo should have it.

You also get all the current movies for the month although maybe those are all available via your cable co on demand too. I am not sure.

Last you get a much better interface than the typical cable co on-demand UI.

12. eaadams

eaadams Member

Apr 25, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    With OnePass on the way... I hope they get this out for my annual Game of Thrones rewatch binge.

13. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    to save room on dvr if the same content is on HBOGO than don't need to record it

14. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From what I've read they're using a platform licensed from the MLB to make that new standalone app. Since TiVo already has a MLB app maybe it will mean deploying an HBO app will be possible.

IIRC the current HBOGo app is all Flash based so it doesn't fit into TiVo's new HTML5 based apps platform.

16. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    are you kidding? Its huge for many Tivo users. On Fios I dont have the ability for on demand with TIvo. same with some cable systems. The only way to have on demand is via one of their expensive monthly fee cable boxes

17. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    It would add tremendous value to Tivo. HBO is the big kahuna of premiums. Best movies, boxing, best series IMO. The ability to go back and watch all of deadwood? or Rome? etc. awesome Next would be a showtime app.

18. eaadams

eaadams Member

Apr 25, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I never thought about looking under VOD for GOT. thank you. now I can delete those 4 seasons I have recorded :)

19. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    +1 for a HBO Go app on TiVo Roamio

20. TexaClone

TexaClone New Member

Feb 15, 2015