1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you hugged your Tivo today?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DianaMo, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003

Attached Files:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had a friend whose family had one of those in the late seventies. Along with a big Satellite dish. So they were always recordings movies.
    We thought it was the coolest thing back then. And we were always going over there to watch movies since CATV wasn't in the area yet.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I tried to hug my TiVo but the Tuning Adapter got between us and ..... it wasn't pretty. :)

4. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    From the same issue...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    Also from the same issue...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    We had one of those original Sony Betamax. My dad loved electronics & gizmos, and he was friends with the local Sony dealer. Although I thought it was earlier than '77; I moved out in 1973 and I thought we had it while I still lived at home.

Some time later he also got a VHS recorder. For a while, he had both hooked up. We also had this video game console, where you overlayed a transparent plastic screen, with the game graphics, over your TV. I think it played PONG, and that was it. No other games.:eek:

ETA: Oh, and not a day goes by I don't hug my TiVo <3

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, but that's why I personally consider Tivo more of an evolution than revolution. I wasn't videotaping that early, but from sometime in the mid to late 80s on (and in the early 90s, with two VCRS of my own so I could record one and watch another off of videotape to avoid commercials.. or SOMETIMES record 2 and suffer through commercials on a third simultaneous show)... used VCRs to avoid commercials.

If only Tivos had removable media (I'm serious).. Yes, downloading to a computer is a decent alternative.. (oh, and yes, I know about the one model of Tivo/dvd recorder, but it wasn't as capable as the other hard drive/DVD recorders, like the XS32 I continue to use daily.)

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I love that it's called a "micro" computer. Boy have times changed.....

9. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    Note the unpunched paper tape dispenser (far right of image above).

I think my brother's girlfriend was told (way back when) to learn keypunch, that way she'll always have a career.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    But you'd have to run guided setup and transfer your season passes and wishlists to every drive you used.

Maybe you could make the eSata port the primary and have your hard drive only
    in the external case and swap them that way.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I actually meant removable media like BluRays, not to add to the 'main recording storage'..

but yeah, having the external drive be something you could attach and detach, without being married to the main drive, would be a similar concept. (I don't remember, one of the satellite recorders, I think DISH, did allow you to attach and detach drives for a while.. and I think you could even swap between units.. to use as big removable storage.. but IIRC, I read, probably here, that they stopped that, so you can't use it to move media between recorders anymore.)