1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has TiVo Premier Been Hacked Yet? (Replace drive, or external expander)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jsrober, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jsrober

jsrober New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Hi,

I have a TiVo Premier. I want to use a standard eSATA drive (high quality drive in a high quality case) with my Premier. I don't want to buy the official expander. Have the hackers figured out how to do this yet?

Has anyone figured out how to replace the internal drive?

Thanks,
    John

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There are no public tools to do either.

Weaknees discovered a method -- which they are keeping private -- and offers pre-upgraded TiVo Premieres in 2TB and 4TB configurations.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Drop-in 1TB and 2TB upgrade drives are on eBay for the Premiere now, so Weaknees isn't the only one that's figured it out. Hopefully there will be a community how-to soon.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member TCF Club

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    If Tivo's attitude toward these modifications is like in the past, they don't consider the modifications to be evil violations of the terms of service, as Apple does toward jailbreaking iPhones. They just say that your warranty is void and they won't help you if you have problems with them. But they will be happy to continue to provide service on them.

5. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Has this changed? Has a public method been discovered?

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
  7. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
  8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For the expert you can hack in a bigger Premiere drive but it far from easy like WinMFS was on all other TiVos.

9. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    i'm really not trying to start a fanboy war (which always seems to happen whenever apple is brought up) but what you just described sounds exactly like apple's attitude toward jailbreakers.

10. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    There is nothing better than a bigger hard drive in your Tivo. All of us hacks might amount to .1% of all Tivo owners so they could give a rats but about us hackers.
    Party on...

11. bsdbytes

bsdbytes New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I think the main difference is Apple brands you as a criminal and actively tries to re-lock your phone.

12. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Member

Jan 6, 2001
    NYC
    I don't think its the same at all. Apple continually closes the holes used to jailbreak so that the phone can no longer be jailbroken. Tivo does no such thing.

13. StanSimmons

StanSimmons Senior Moment Member

Jun 10, 2000
    Flower...
    They lock down each new series of TiVo more than the last, but they don't actively try to break hacks during purely software upgrades.

Series 1 boxes were very easy to hack. Series 2 boxes were harder to hack until some smart hackers found a way to break the "chain of trust" with software. Series 2.5 and Series 3/HD boxes require a replacement prom to hack. Series 4/Premier boxes seem to block being able to just replace the prom....

So TiVo does actively try to stop the hackers, they just aren't malicious about it like Apple is.

14. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Member

Jan 6, 2001
    NYC
    Like I said, its not the same. :)

15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member TCF Club

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I think that TiVo goes to great lengths to prevent modified software from running on the box so that they don't risk losing their CableLabs and related DRM certifications. Putting authorized software on a bigger hard drive doesn't compromise that; it simply becomes a matter of not wanting to support boxes with random hard drives.

16. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Member

Jan 6, 2001
    NYC
    And what exactly are the "great lengths" Tivo goes to ? If they wanted to prevent it and or stop it, they could.

17. RiyanWeb

RiyanWeb New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Nj
    i agree with CharlesH

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    One easy way is to have PROM look for the correct size drive or drive type like TiVo does for the external expander.

19. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    The "holes" used to jailbreak are security holes that can be exploited to do bad things as well. So yes, Apple patches security vulnerabilities. But if you jailbreak, Apple doesn't do anything to re-lock your phone. Just don't expect future software updates to support your jailbreak.

20. Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf Associate

Sep 19, 2010
    Toms River,...
    Ok, basicallly here is the deal, you can use a regular hard drive that uses eSATA,BUT its not advised because the hard drives used in DVR's and the "official" expanders as you put it are specialized drives that don't have error correcting features that affect the smooth video stream, these features which are required for regular computer usage. Also AV hard drives are much much quieter. Here is some data collected from various DVR drive whitepapers.
    Thermal Control: On board sensors monitor temperature and adjust characteristics as necessary to keep the temperature optimal.
    Durability: These drives run at 7200 RPM - more than fast enough for every PVR (providing about three times the necessary peak throughput) but not fast enough to wear out sooner.
    Acoustic Management: DVR-specific drives are specially tuned to run as quietly as possible.
    A/V Streaming: DVR-specific drives have been optimized and tuned to provide consistent data to the PVR processor. Standard desktop drives can hang while retrying drive reads - DVR drives know to move ahead and provide more data to keep video smooth.
    Error Recovery: Desktop drives retry on errors to make sure that your Excel spreadsheet is exactly right - it's imperative. But when watching video, if one block of data is bad, you may not even notice a dark spot on one frame for 1/30th of a second. So these drives are tuned to move past errors faster, putting the stream of data as top priority. Where desktop drives often cause stutters, these drives run smooth.